Self sabotage, why????

Options
2»

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm sad that you consider a few chocolates a sabotage, a slip-up or a mistake. I regularly have a bit of chocolate or ice cream or other treat. Several times weekly, in fact. I just work them into my calorie allotment and enjoy them guilt-free. Thin/fit/healthy people splurge, too. It's real life and sustainable. And a heckuva lot more fun than deprivation.

I do agree that if you're going to splurge to make it count. Don't eat crap just to eat it. Eat something you really enjoy slowly and savor it.

Of course, nothing wrong with finding some non-food rewards, too. Life is all about finding the right balance.

And unless you ate the equivalent of 35 regular size Hershey chocolate bars (7000 calories), there is no way you gained 2# from eating that chocolate.
  • betterin2012
    Options
    Just today I put on my message board about how depressed I am for feeling the need to self sabotage....One of my MFP friends sent me this reply:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves.....Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

May this quote be as helpful to you as it was to me!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think what was disappointing was that I was so fired up after New Years, and raring to go with my weight loss mission, that to suddenly fall off the wagon, yet again, was just annoying!

But after reading the replies, I am starting to get a non-food reward plan formulated:

I'm really into collecting gemstones (I'm quite New Agey!), so I've decided that whenever I have a good weight loss, I will treat myself to a gemstone (only £1 - £2 from Amazon, much cheaper than a pizza or glass of vodka and coke!) and then when I hit my target, buy something nice like gemstone jewellery or perfume.

Love it! I'm quite New Agey myself ;)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Went back to work after my Xmas/NY holidays and a few of my colleagues was telling me how much I've lost weight, that I looked amazing and toned, and how my skin has cleared up.

So what do I do? "Reward" myself with chocolates (didn't help that I had PMT at the time either, and I couldn't go to Zumba due to shift work). Now 2lbs BACK up :cry: Defo back on track now.

What is wrong with me? Does anyone else have this issue? How do you overcome it?

Don't use food as a reward. Buy yourself a cute thong. A new workout top. Buy a month long membership to a dance studio or pilates or yoga studio or kick boxing club - something new you've wanted to try.

Choose rewards that perpetuate your forward movement instead of halting them. Food is for fueling your body - reward yourself in other ways.