adding strength training to my cardio

Options
Am I better off strength training before or after I go for my regular 2 mile walk, or does it not matter either way? Also, how often should I engage in strength training? I've been told 3 times a week or every other day. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Am I better off strength training before or after I go for my regular 2 mile walk, or does it not matter either way? Also, how often should I engage in strength training? I've been told 3 times a week or every other day. Thanks in advance!

I would say, do cardio and then strength train. As for how many days should you do strength training, it depends on how many days a week you are working out. Do it every other day.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You should strength train and then do cardio. You need most of your energy to push yourself in strength training so that you can convert your fat into building muscle and then using whatever is left to push your body in cardio.
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You should strength train and then do cardio. You need most of your energy to push yourself in strength training so that you can convert your fat into building muscle and then using whatever is left to push your body in cardio.

Good advice. Make sure you warm up before doing weights and the Bonus is once you go from weights to cardio your heart rate will already be elevated so you can start burning calories quicker
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I do weights before cardio always for two reasons.

1. Weight lifting (especially with free weights) requires you to maintain good form so you don't injure yourself. If you're already somewhat tired from cardio, your form may suffer.

2. I can put my all into the cardio afterwards without worrying about trying to make strength increases afterwards.
  • armorflamemusicman
    armorflamemusicman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it =]