Medical conditions, medications, and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• brearune
    Options
    I have both a thyroid problem (which kills your metabolism... in my case, anyway. Sometimes thyroid issues can make you LOSE weight fast, by boosting your metabolism.) and am on medication that makes me HUNGRY!! For a depression disorder, which also makes me more at risk for depression eating. Also hormone issues.

so basically i'm screwed. ;)

but how it works for me: Thyroid issue, low metabolism. Medication makes me hungry more often, so I naturally am eating more than others. It takes me more to curb this bad habit, though I daresay I'm doing quite well now, but it's very hard and easy to fall off the wagon, where for otehrs it is a big easier. Depression, again, if I have depressive fits or skip my medicine, I'm prone to binge eating. :( 2 psychological, and 1 physiological issue.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread, Taso! I'm gonna follow it :)
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Like other people have stated some medications have an effect on the metabolism, causing weight gain without significant behavioral changes in diet or activity level. The effect can sometimes be mitigated with upping activity level & being strict about diet (not dieting), but the level of effect depends on the dosage and the individual's chemistry/physiology.

Other medications cause an increase in appetite and/or lethargy. With these types of medication it is possible to avoid weight gain by maintaining the same diet and exercise routine as prior to taking the pills (as long as the person was happy with their fitness level & weight). Many anti-depressants (dual re-uptake inhibitors & tricyclics for example) can have this effect in some people. However, for others they can have the opposite effect, decreasing appetite and/or making people feel "speedy".

If people have concerns about weight gain associated with medication they should consult a physician and ask if the side effect is a result something that can be controlled (increased appetite) or something that is more difficult to control (slowed metabolism). Most physicians are sympathetic to health and body images issues and can help people manage the side-effects or even suggest alternative medications. When I see a new clinician I openly state that I have serious emotional problems surrounding my weight and that taking medications that cause weight gain outside of behavioral changes is too stressful for me. Since the only medications I have needed to take are for bi-polar disorder and insomnia, most clinicians I have interacted with have been willing to work with me to find alternatives.

Hope this adds to the information pool!