Strength Training Advice

Options
I've decided that I would like to incorporate more strength training in to my routine as I aspire to be strong and healthy rather than skinny! I've done bits and pieces (usually just using my own body weight / light hand weights as part of exercise dvds) but would like to start a more hardcore strength training routine. Can anyone give me some tips? I can't really afford a gym membership right now so any links to online workouts / strength training programmes would be helpful, as would advice on what weights to buy.

Thanks in advance (and feel free to add me!)

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jnl-on-the-go.html

That program is designed for people that can't get to the gym. I have no idea how good it is, but www.bodybuilding.com is generally solid for information and plans.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    Thank you, I'll have a look at it now :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I would like to incorporate more strength training in to my routine as I aspire to be strong and healthy rather than skinny! I've done bits and pieces (usually just using my own body weight / light hand weights as part of exercise dvds) but would like to start a more hardcore strength training routine. Can anyone give me some tips? I can't really afford a gym membership right now so any links to online workouts / strength training programmes would be helpful, as would advice on what weights to buy.

Thanks in advance (and feel free to add me!)

What are your goals for strength training? That will largely determine the type of program you want to do.
  • StargazerHuck
    StargazerHuck Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for bringing this up and for the website. I am able to frequent the gym and have been doing a lot of cardio. I have been saying for a little while now that I need to start adding in strength training so that I become strong as well as thinner. It is an intimidating task when all of those machines and weights are sitting there and I don't have a clue what to do with them let alone how much or how often. Thanks again for the info!
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    What are your goals for strength training? That will largely determine the type of program you want to do.

Well, I'd just like more muscle tone all over. I also have very little upper body strength so that would be an area I'd like to improve on.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    A few programs to look into:

ChaLean Extreme - DVDs to purchase that focus primarily on strength (check eBay as well). http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/chalean_extreme.do

Jamie Eason's Live Fit Program - from the same site as the recommendation above. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

Gain Fitness - this site will let you personalize a program based on your goals. http://gainfitness.com/strength

New Rules of Lifting for Women - a book you can check out at the library or purchase that's focused on lifting strategies for women. http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv

full body cardio-strength workouts.... I love it! I've been doing it consistently for about a month and I'm definitely more toned :bigsmile:

be warned: some video screenshots show a bit of, um, provocative poses so if you're against that just know that its probably just a way to catch attention lol but the workouts are LEGIT :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the books Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. They might inspire you to build a home gym or work out a way to use the gym regularly.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jnl-on-the-go.html

That program is designed for people that can't get to the gym. I have no idea how good it is, but www.bodybuilding.com is generally solid for information and plans.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS - and I detest most things that contain the word "bodybuilding"

Here is another good site just for ladies...
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

Good Luck to you!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I used a great book called The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises when I started and I thought it was very helpful! You can probably find this or something similar at your library.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    A wonderful way to get strong and firm are to use strength bands. You should buy a nice selection from light to heavy resistance and use more resistance than you're used to. My favorite bands are bodylastics at bodylastics.com. They also have free live exercises every morning at liveexercise.com using the bands. You can also watch the exercises at your convenience. They just won't be live.

Bands have lots of advantages over weights but one obvious one is that they use far less room and can be done literally anywhere. You'll get one or two door anchors if you buy a set from them. They are very strong and durable and will give you a ton of fantastic exercises.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used this website when I first got interested in strength training. I'm pretty minimalist, so kettlebells for me were the best thing ever. It builds really dense lean muscle, and can burn 12 calories per minute as well which is amazing.

http://www.myomytv.com

I mix up bodyweight & kettlebell exercises to get an awesome all around workout. My TRX is supposed to be here tomorrow, can't wait to incorporate that into my workouts as well.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv

full body cardio-strength workouts.... I love it! I've been doing it consistently for about a month and I'm definitely more toned :bigsmile:

be warned: some video screenshots show a bit of, um, provocative poses so if you're against that just know that its probably just a way to catch attention lol but the workouts are LEGIT :)

agree. i love them
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Well, I'd just like more muscle tone all over. I also have very little upper body strength so that would be an area I'd like to improve on.

Well everyone is going to have a different opinion on what program to do, and I don't want to be one of those people that think there's only one right answer.

However, to get the definition you want, you'll want to be lifting a higher % of your 1 rep maximum. In other words, something relatively heavy. And for something that translates to real world strength, I would suggest using mostly (if not all) free weights and sticking with compound lifts (Squat, Lunge, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups, etc.)

This does require some access to equipment where you can progressively increase the weight. If you don't have this you can try to do a mix of bodyweight exercises and whatever equipment you have available. Just remember that compound movements will translate the most to real world strength because it's a natural body movement.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can do a google search for body weight exercises and that should get you started. Ultimately you'll want to lift heavy for the best results. Don't worry, you won't get too bulky. You can search the groups for strength training and NROL4W ("The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler). The NROL4W is desighned for the gym or at home use. Good luck!