Water amounts ??

Options
Of course there's always the old "8glasses a day", and then I heard some where that you take your body weight, devide it, and that is how much you drink, per day, in ounces.

So for me...I weigh 260..devided is 130...i have to drink 130oz of water per day! that a little over 4 gallons!! Ugh.

So what have you guys heard? I just know if I can choose water over soda (or "coke" since I live in the south :P), then that'll be a good chuck healthier for me.

Replies

• niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    As long as you are giving yourself at least 8 glasses a day... you are good. I drink out of a 20oz cup at work and usually go through at least 3 of them, which gives me 60oz.......plus at the gym I do at least 24oz and then maybe another 8oz when I get home. I don't set a certain goal for water. I struggle with drinking water when I am at home, I barely drink anything for some reason. At work I am on the phone all day so I tend to need more there.
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    I go by the policy of 1 glass before eating, 1 glass during eating, 1 glass after eating - every time I eat. I probably drink about 4-5 more a day so I'm drinking about 10-15 a day usually.

Basically, you should drink as much water as possible. IMO it is one of the most overlooked and important elements of both weight loss and general health.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Water seems to be what I drink most these days. I drink out of one of those 20 oz cups and I use a straw. I usually drink 4-5 of those a day and maybe a glass or two with dinner
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I drink 1.5 - 2 gallons a day, but thats over the amount needed. I would recommend atleast a gallon a day. Hope that helps
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    As long as you are giving yourself at least 8 glasses a day... you are good. I drink out of a 20oz cup at work and usually go through at least 3 of them, which gives me 60oz.......plus at the gym I do at least 24oz and then maybe another 8oz when I get home. I don't set a certain goal for water. I struggle with drinking water when I am at home, I barely drink anything for some reason. At work I am on the phone all day so I tend to need more there.

Totally Incorrect :-)

You need to drink when you feel you need to, and no force yourself.
    Drinking more is as dangerous as drinking less. (Increase level of water, while decreasing sodium level via the diuresis)
    In fact for an exercise, you better should have small but numerous intakes, but that doesn't mean you need to drink more.

There are imho two REAL indicators : the feeling of being thirsty (the most important one), and the urines color. (less pertinent)
    Drinking more is useless (appart preserving performance during an exercise). In 2002 and 2008 two big studies explained how useless it was to drink over your need, appart going to toilets more often.
    Moreover people tend to forget all the water they drink via the food they eat. That is why in fact we don't feel that much the thirsty feeling ;)

Read that :
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--8785-0,00.html
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/batman.html
    http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/