Vegetarian and trying to lose weight

Options
I'm being greedy, I have plenty of very good motivational friends on here but I'm hoping to find some more vegetarian or vegan friends that are trying to lose weight. I've been a vegetarian for over ten years, but I put on weight so easily from eating anything "carb-y" so I have to really watch my diet - which I lapsed with a few years back after years of heavily under-eating, and being skinny, I put on more weight than I'd originally lost. In a way I'm looking for overweight vegetarians or vegans - or ex-overweight, basically any veggies/vegans that have struggled and that are open with what they eat so I can look out for ideas!

Replies

• crystallinedream
    crystallinedream Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been a vegetarian for my entire life and would love to be your friend! I've never been over weight, but I am trying to lose weight too. I am looking for a vegetarian friend as well. I'd love to share ideas with you, if you like!
  • Slabface
    Options
    Hi there,

Sounds like a pretty similar story to mine.

I lost 14kg of weight in 2009 and three years on am now 20kg over my starting point.

Being a vegetarian and being really busy, I find it hard to not overdo the carbs.

My girlfriend (who eats meat) also doesn't like lentils/pulses/beans, so I tend to end up relying on dairy/cheese, which I'm making efforts to do without.

As part of this process, I've started getting an organic veggie box delivered weekly to try and force myself to eat both seasonally and more healthily.

A recent glut of cauliflower has caused me to find more uses outside the obvious (lower carb mash) and I've rediscovered the stir-fry for the first time since university!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Vegan here, trying to lose weight, feel free to add :)
  • vanessacarter
    vanessacarter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, i started being vegetarian about 8 months ago, and i been trying to loose weight as well. I been experimenting with comfort food receipes and trying to turn them into healthy vegetarian ones. feel free to add
  • Rav_
    Rav_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! Veggie and trying to lose weight has got to be the hardest thing ever.. it's so hard to get away from the carbs! I'd love to be your friend and exchange ideas! =)
  • Mski02
    Mski02 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hiya

I'm a veggie from England.

I'm in the same boat.... I eat a LOT of fruit and veg, make my meals from scratch but rely on a lot of carbs.....so much so that I've gained 4stone over the last 7 years.

I really need to lose at least 3 stone, but i'd like to lose 2 stone by the end of April

Feel free to add me
  • CupcakeKabuki
    Options
    Hello I am vegan, have a couple of stone too loose, 26 in University add me if you like xxx
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Veg diet can assist in weight loss.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Veg diet can assist in weight loss.

oh I know, the reasons for being a vegetarian wasn't because I was looking for a healthier diet. I have to be really careful with what I eat, which is annoying. I used to mainly eat just fruit and veg, it was a bit up and down with what carbs, I have a bit more of a settled diet now more down to weighing everything out! I'm always on the look out for new recipes though.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like me...Veg for over 10 years...trying to loose weight. Feel free to add me
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hiya - feel free to add me too.

I'm ex-overweight, just have about 15 lbs to lose. I know the carbs issue! Cutting them out seems to be the only thing that works, but it's almost impossible for more than 2 weeks. At the moment I'm just trying to have my refined carbs in the morning (i.e. bread/cereals/oats) and less later in the day.
  • mtgoat
    mtgoat Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi I am a vegetarian also! I would love to be part of a support team that has the same eating habits! I am not over weight but am at the high end of my weight class. I would like to lose about ten pounds. One of the tools I use is Vegetarian Times it has great recipies and they give you all the facts, so you know what you are eating.
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm also vegetarian. I've very over weight and would like other veggie friends on here as I'm currently go it alone. I'm just starting out so a support group of veggies would be amazing :)

looking forward to getting to know you all xx
  • FitPet
    FitPet Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm pescetarian (I used to have seafood once or twice a month, but since starting to diet at the beginning of Jan, have heavily increased my fish consumption), but would like to find a way to reduce fish consumption and still keep my carbs low. The dahl I made today still has double the carbs compared to protein. Vegetarian diet is very healthy and great for maintenance, but with lots of cardio, I need more protein to ensure I'm not losing muscle.
  • rosebryony
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for ten years and I understand what you mean by the carbs!
    :flowerforyou:
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you know there is a group specifically for vegetarians
  • hagamivida
    Options
    Meeeee! Obese from medication and indescribably embarrassed to be obese and veg. Been veg for 4.5 years now and have no plans to turn back. :-) also, gaining weight from carbs? Run. You need carbs to run and have energy to do it. Or walk briskly. I don't know what I think about gaining weight from carbs, I imagine it is just from calories.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    VEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YAY!

Not overweight, just could use to lose like, 10 kg (20 or so pounds).

YAY!
  • theyear
    Options
    Hi I'm a veggie have been for about 6 years now. I struggle to lose weight due to polycystic ovarian syndrome feel free to add me :smile:
  • hagamivida
    Options
    If you have the iphone app you can look at a graph of the percent you ate from carbs, fat, and protein, and it sets you up with what everyone should be aiming for: 15% protein, 55% carbs, 30% fat. Carbs give you energy. You can't cut them out safely for long term. Just exercise them off. And you gain weight from calories, not from eating carbs, specifically. You can't cut out food groups like that. Please don't!