BodyMedia?

Options
I know there are some topics about this already, but I could only find older ones, and I'm looking for opinions on newer models like the BodyMedia FIT LINK, or anything else you can suggest.

Have you found yours to be accurate, and helpful in weightloss?

Do you pay a monthly fee?

Was it worth the money?

Any information you can give me would be helpful!

Replies

• mdailey93
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to decide between the FIT link and the FIT Core. Any suggestions?
  • mdailey93
    Options
    Well since I'm not getting any advice I think I'm going to go with the Link. Some of the reviews said that it isn't as accurate, which I don't want, but I like the fact that I can instantly see what I'm burning.... I'm wondering if you can still hard sync it to your computer though?
  • jenduman
    Options
    I have the fit link and LOVE it! It's accurate, but the food database on the site stinks, which is why I use mfp. The monthly fee is like $7...the nice thing is that you know when you are going to lose or not...For example, I know if I have at least a 1000 calorie deficit, I'll lose 2 lbs a week. I don't think the core is any different but smaller and a little cheaper, so you might want that one, although under most clothes nobody notices anyway.

Jen
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the Fit Bluetooth (Link) model that will sync with an iphone and via computer. Yes, it will still sync via a cable to your computer. In fact, that's probably better via cable. The sync process with bluetooth is a bit awkward and unreliable. However, I don't use the bluetooth feature. I have an older iphone, and I could get it to sync, but it was difficult and didn't always work. They were constantly updating the software, so this might work better now. I bought the original model last January (2011), but didn't start using it until the end of last year. I like it. It helps me stay accountable.

What I found most is that I 1.) don't always sleep like I think I am and 2.) I don't work out as much as I think - rest periods are longer than I think at the time. It's been enlightening to see how much or little activity I complete and what's vigorous and moderate by METS measurements. For instance, I thought my circuit training would be vigorous activity since I sweat a lot, but apparently, my heart rate doesn't go that high or something else, and even though I get a good burn, it's not as much as I thought it was. On the other hand, my Zumba classes are incredibly vigorous, but I have so much fun in them that I don't notice that. Yes, I like it. I think in general, if you commit to using it, then it's an awesome tool especially with MFP. It gives you both sides of the equation.

It seems to be accurate for me, and I would think it would be accurate for most people.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have the older model so I can't advise you on that but, I pay $6 a month, and it is by far the BEST money I'd ever spent. It's awesome! HOWEVER - if you do a lot of spinning, it's not good for bike exercise or anything where you're not using your arms, and I don't think it's awesome for circuit training - a HRM is better for that. However, it really does motivate you to move more and I find it to be accurate enough.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    I was also just looking at the Link. I'm curious of it's accuracy - do either of you who have it use it with a Polar HRM strap? I saw that all of them can measure HR with the Polar strap which I would think would give you a more accurate reading than just the heat/body sensors. I'd hate to get one and still be using my HRM. I was considering the LINK simply because of the bluetooth syncing with the phone for the immediate feedback and upload as opposed to having to plug it into the computer once I got home.......
  • mdailey93
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! After hearing your responses I think I will go with the link!
  • mdailey93
    Options
    I just placed my order! I'm excited!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the new core armband. Love how small it is.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was also just looking at the Link. I'm curious of it's accuracy - do either of you who have it use it with a Polar HRM strap? I saw that all of them can measure HR with the Polar strap which I would think would give you a more accurate reading than just the heat/body sensors. I'd hate to get one and still be using my HRM. I was considering the LINK simply because of the bluetooth syncing with the phone for the immediate feedback and upload as opposed to having to plug it into the computer once I got home.......

I have not used it with an HRM, but I know it also has the option to integrate with a Garvin HRM - at least on the Activity Manager Screen it has readings for the Garvin HRM. I was thinking about getting an HRM too to compare, but I haven't decided yet on that...