Having success eating small every 2 hours

Options
The last two times I've lost weight I've had success by eating small every two hours. Concentrating on protein shakes or bars, hard boiled eggs and toast, and a regular (but sensible) supper. I also exercise for about 45 minutes a day. Since November 28 I have taken off 40 pounds and still need to lose 55 more. I did this a number of years ago, but never really tracked calories, this program is great for educating yourself about food and hope that this mega yoyo (100 pound swings) can this time keep it off!

Replies

• SharClark40
    Options
    I have heard that eating frequently is how you're supposed to do it, but it can be so hard to stay on top of that! You get busy and look up and you've missed your mid-day snack and it's time for dinner! I am planning on using prep work to help me succeed - boiling the eggs ahead of time, bagging carrots that I can just grab and go, etc.

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!! Keep it up - I'll use YOU as my inspiration!
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    My understanding is that the science doesn't back it up as far as affecting your metabolism etc..., but it is helpful in keeping yourself full and satiated through the day and changing bad habits such as binge eating (my problem, evening snacking).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have identified something that works for you.

Personally, I've found that I do better if I have a more substatial meal three times a day with a small snack in the afternoon.
    It's definitely worth experimenting to work out what suits each of us.

You've done a great job so far, good luck with the rest of the journey!
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set for 6 small meals a day as well. Each meal includes a protein, a carb and a fat. My understanding is that by eating more frequently, you keep your blood sugar level even...so the body does not produce insulin. Instead, by eating more protein and exercising, the body (pancreas) releases glucagon, the fat burning hormone....which is what we want, right?

Eating more sugar than protein in a meal, eating processed foods, and overeating in one sitting increases the blood sugar level. Accordingly, the body releases insulin and turns these foods into fat. (Which contradicts that article that is floating around today that states that it doesn't matter where you calories come from...a calorie is a calorie to which I say "hog wash!")

So far eating the smaller, higher in protein meals has worked for me....I am tightening and toning up.

But again, to each his own....
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree, eating small frequent meals is what works for me too. I don't think it's a hard thing to do, no matter how busy your life is. Just put a small "snack" basket in your car/desk/whereever, that contains 100-150 cals worth of food. An apple, cheese n crackers, etc. Keep protein bars near, in purse, desk.etc.
    Just do it!
  • cabarbe
    Options
    I tooo find it hard to catch that snack in between meals to do the every 2 hour rule :( we'll see how tracking my food and accounting for my calories works for me, tomorrow marks 1 week in MFP and I was surpised to see the cutbacks when I have to face the numbers at the end of the day/entry!
  • priv8life
    priv8life Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LOL, doing this with success too. But its getting difficult to "brand" my diet under any one program. Its hard to explain. I evolved and morphed my diet to get here because it works for me.

Examples
    - Eat kind of like South Beach phase 2 most of time... really phase 1.5 :-) No bread, pasta, potato, rice, and sweets
    - avoid simple carbs and high glycemic load foods
    - avoid red meat... sometimes I stumble into situations where I allow it to avoid questions... Steakhouse, BBQ...
    - Eat on the odd hours... 9, 11, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. So Breakfast is at 9 (300 cal) Lunch is at 1 (400 cal) and dinner is at 7 (500 cal). Everything in between is about 100 cal.

Usually once a day
    -- I eat ....Greek yogurt, grilled skinless chicken and/or turkey, scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, grilled tomatoes, huge salad, red beans (fiber), 1 oz low fat cheese, nuts (30 Pistachios, or 15 almonds)
    -- I walk a 4 mile loop for breakfast and decaf coffee. This is just a mindless routine now... rain or shine.

A few times per week
    -- I eat fish, fruit, melon, cabbage, sauteed spinach, and other healthy foods...maybe skip meat altogether
    -- I ride my bike aggressively for 20 mile or so (about 1:20 hours:min) This is fun for me.

I'm losing weight steadily... without any real hardships.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started out doing this the very same way. If I ate breakfast at 6 am, it seemed like a really long time until Noon and I would find myself thinking about food all the time between mealtimes. Then changing over to smaller meals throughout the day seemed to work for me. I believe it's all about finding what works for each and every one of us. I still sometimes break up meals but other days if I'm super busy, I'll go with the 3 more complete meals with a snack after dinner.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!

I typically eat just 2 meals a day, breakfast and dinner (approximately 1,250 calories each), and was able to lose 100 lbs. in 6 months. Those two meals include loads of protein.

By comparison, I like the feeling of being completely satiated after eating, and at 1,250 calories a meal, that's easily accomplished.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've found something that works and you say it has worked 2 times in the past. Since you have said yourself that you have yoyo'd 100 lbs I would be careful about how you lose the weight this time around. It may work but since you've gone up and down so much it doesn't sound sustainable.

Going up and down that much is not healthy and you should probably focus more on what is healthy and sustainable so that you are not putting so much pressure and stress on your body in the future!!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat 300 or so calories 4 or 5 times a day. It works very well for me. I did find though that I have to eat quality calories. Or I am hungry. A day here and there I eat until I am full, not stuffed. It's nice but , only as a break. You've done awesome work. :drinker: