I have no idea anymore...was this a balanced day?

Options
So, I have never had an entirely normal relationship with food and I'm just not sure anymore what a healthy day of food consists of. I think today was good, can someone give me input or advice? (Note: I know it's a bit too low as far as calories go but I'm working my way up to a steady healthy intake instead of restrict/restrict/fast/binge. Also I normally would have had chicken or a lean protein with the rice and some veggies but I was in a hurry.)
I seem to eat too many carbs and sugars, what foods should I eat instead to replace that? :/

Replies

• EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oops, before my diary wasn't viewable it is now! :)
  • mom1520
    mom1520 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'd say your day wasn't too bad, but I would recommended adding more lean protein.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Wasn't too bad but i'd cut out some carbs to try to stay under what it says to stay under and eat more calories! It's got you set over 1300 you should definitely be taking that much in and try to get as close to 1300 as you can. This can be hard and for me personally at 1530 cals before exercise means PLANNING. I have to plan my whole day in the morning so that i can play with meals to get as close to my goal as possible. Not bad though overall :o) Oh and I agree on more protein- you're supposed to take in .5 to 1g per pound of body weight. This is really hard so I'm happy if I get to 100g in a day.
  • EngineerPrincess
    Options
    Thanks :) Anyone have suggestions on how to add more calories without carbs though? Carbs are my favorites. :(
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Some good non-meat Protein sources that I use:

Nuts and Nut butters
    String Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Beans
    hummus
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hey there - it's not bad, the most striking thing is just that it's under on calories. I'd say try to go closer to your daily calorie goal, and eat more veggies. The non-starchy veggies are so low-calorie, but if you cook them in olive oil, that'll start filling in your calories.

Add roasted onions, eggplant, zucchini, stir fry veggies, cauliflower, carrot sticks and dip or hummus... things like that. Good luck! :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think you've answered your own question. If you add lean protein and maybe a bit more healthy fats (cook with a little bit of healthy oil), you'll have a good balance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Not too bad, as long as you promise to keep working towards hitting your calorie target. Normally I'd suggest trying to get your calories sorted before fine tuning the macros, but making an effort to increase protein and fat is not a bad idea in this case, as others have mentioned above.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Anyone have suggestions on how to add more calories without carbs though? Carbs are my favorites. :(

Try changing the ratios of how you eat your carbs - some ideas:
    - one piece of bread with a salad instead of two in a sandwich
    - less rice or pasta, more sauce made with veggies and chicken/beef/tuna
    - hommus with half crackers and half veggie sticks for dipping

I don't get bothered by carbs in fruits and veggies - they come nicely packaged with fibre and lots of other goodies.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    More fiber, I would suggest.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight is way too low for your height -- do you know that? Your current weight is even considered too low. I will echo those above who suggest eating more calories via adding some good fats and protein. But nothing wrong with carbs at all, just avoid refined white flour. Some healthy, yummy carbs include baked potatoes (white or sweet), whole grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd focus more on adding a lot more protein than specifically avoiding carbs, though in general you might consider swapping out the refined grains for whole grains for both health and satiety. Protein helps me feel fuller, and also helps me build muscle with my weight training-- not sure what exercising you're doing, but ya more protein.

avocado
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    peanut butter
    meat
    protein shakes
    nuts
    light cheese sticks
  • EngineerPrincess
    Options
    Okay I let MFP set my daily ratios instead of doing it myself and I'm doing better on protein but need more fat.
    Is 1200 something I can settle on as healthy for an extended period of time or should I keep trying to raise it? :/ What's healthy for a maintenance calorie level?

flinchyny thanks for the advice, but don't worry I'm still at a normal weight for my height! My bmi is normal.
  • batesss
    batesss Posts: 24
    Options
    I would just focus on those fruits, vegetables and lean protein. Focus on getting balanced meals. You can easily have half the rice or half of the bagel and replace those calories with something that is really going to have a bigger impact (like those good fats and proteins). I suggest most of what people already said: nuts, tuna, fish, turkey (those hot dogs wont cut it for too long), leafy greens, vegetables
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight is way too low for your height -- do you know that? Your current weight is even considered too low. I will echo those above who suggest eating more calories via adding some good fats and protein. But nothing wrong with carbs at all, just avoid refined white flour. Some healthy, yummy carbs include baked potatoes (white or sweet), whole grain bread, oatmeal, brown rice.

You goal weight is a little too low. I must second this. Not terrible choices. I will echo what others have said. Make sure to get plenty of protein and fiber. Also, be sure to eat plenty of veggies, which helps with the fiber. Good luck to you.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    I think there needs to be some clarifications.

Have you taken a measure of your body fat percentage? If so, what was it?
    What are your goals with your body?
    Do you exercise on a regular basis? And if so, what kind of exercise?
    Do you have any exercise-related goals you'd like to achieve?

Answering these would help understand if you really should be losing weight. Technically you're not underweight according to BMI, but your goal weight would be.
  • EngineerPrincess
    Options
    Body fat percentage changes depending what online calculator I use. :/ anywhere from 20%-28%.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    According to your profile you're 5'8" and round 124lbs. (judging from your ticker) With the BMI tracker on here, you're 18.9. Which is barely in the healthy range. The calories do not seem enough at all. If the information you have put is up todate and correct I'm not sure why you would want to lose more weight.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Body fat percentage changes depending what online calculator I use. :/ anywhere from 20%-28%.

That's in a "healthy" range, but if you still want to drop body-fat you're going to probably want only a slight calorie deficit, making sure to eat back your exercise calories. I know you're working on eating more, so keep at it. Try getting to at least 1400 net calories.

Also, for the other questions I asked. Are you currently working out? Do you have any particular fitness goals in mind that don't revolve around weight/body fat? Those would be a good thing to keep focus on I think.

Keep chiming in. Everyone's here to help. :)
  • EngineerPrincess
    Options
    Thanks for the advice nopedotjpeg :) I used to be in ballet/skating but stopped once I hit college, I work out maybe twice a week and I walk everywhere, so there's that. I don't have time for much else.