Juice Fasting...

Options
Good morning all,
Just wanted to see what people think about juice fasts. I started today. Seems to be going well, In the past when I have done this it really jump starts weightloss and makes you feel great. anyone else use fasts to help with cleansing? I would love to hear your thoughts. Have a great day :drinker:

Replies

• gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Just wanted to see what people think about juice fasts. I started today. Seems to be going well, In the past when I have done this it really jump starts weightloss and makes you feel great. anyone else use fasts to help with cleansing? I would love to hear your thoughts. Have a great day :drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to fasting, but I don't agree with them as a means to lose weight or to "jump start" weight loss.

but good luck anyway :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would mirror Kerri's thoughts. Generally not something I would consider a safe method for weight loss. For other reasons, go for it, but not for health reasons, not IMO anyway.
  • gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    oops,
    I think I may have given the wrong impression. I typically do a juice fast a couple times a year for 1-2 days to help with over all health. It is not a fanatical starvation for weeks at a time, that's for sure. Thanks for your thoughtful concern. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have a few books on juice fasts and agree with both sides of the coin
    Overall *just MY opinion* I think we need to eat/chew food daily and our systems are set up to process food daily w/ out becoming overwhelmed or needing a break
    I just don't think the benefits are substantial and I would expect to be darn hungry...which I don't think is ever good
    Could be wrong....just my .02

Kim
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Oh, 1 or 2 days, yeah, I guess. I'm not sure what it does, but I don't find 1 or 2 days a big deal.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me the judge is still out about fasting. I have heard from some that fasting allows your body to rest from digestion, which is one of the most difficult activities it has to do. I have heard that there are significant benefits to fasting. However, I recently read that in order to fasting to be effective it needs to a complete fast, not a juice fast. I think that the idea was that in order for fasting to be effective, your body needs to go into Ketosis. Juice is high in natural sugars which are the easiest form of energy for the body to process; therefore, the body will simply run on the sugar from the juice instead of breaking down fat cells for energy. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this, or I would give you the article. It might be something to look in to . It does happen in nature though, most injured animals will forgo food while they are recovering.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well, I have never seen any evidence (and I have looked, pretty hard) that says that fasting does anything positive for the body. Nothing other then testimonials, which, I'm sorry, don't cut the mustard. If you have studies that outline starvation as a healthy, viable weight loss strategy, or even just a healthy strategy for ANY reason, please, post them, I would love to read them. I am always looking to further my knowledge. Right now, to my knowledge, there has never been a scientific study that concluded that medium (6 to 10 days) to long (over 10 days) term starvation to be in any way healthy.

What I have seen is some studies on starvation, and those show some pretty scarey issues that arise after about 10 days of fasting (before, but they get REALLY bad at about 10 days in healthy adult males), I'm talking life threatening stuff. I'll see if I can dig em up, there was one on the ajcn (american journal of clinical nutrition) done by the US army, that was a treat to read. Dizzyness, fatigue, organ shut down, ph level changes in the blood, calcium depletion, severe muscle deterioration, a pretty scarey scene.

While Ketosis in itself is ok to be in, Ketosis from starvation is not good. You should achieve ketosis by eating a very low carb diet, not starving yourself. You need protein and good fat in order to fuel your body, even if you want to eliminate carbohydrates, you still need fuel.