My HRM just shat on all my calorie burning dreams...

Options
Okay, so I decided to hit the gym for a last minute weekend workout and I took my HRM with me (Garmin Forerunner 110) to see how it works. I've only really used it before this to GPS my runs outdoors. Anyway, so there I am, barreling away on a 15% incline on the treadmill as usual and I can see my HR is in between fat burn and cardio, closer to cardio, around the 150s. I double check my HRM measurement to the treadmill's and they're close - within 1 or 2 bpm each time. I think "Oh gravy! This should be good!"

Uh no.

I get off the machine and look at what the treadmill says I've burned in 55 minutes: 545 calories. I think to myself "Yipee! Go me!!" and then I look at my Garmin: 318 calories. DUDE. that's like a 230 difference!! That's HUGE!

I am now totally depressed. :(

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, are you sure that your model of the Garmin is suitable for use on the treadmill?
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 and to use this one on a treadmill I have to add a foot pod.

Check the manual to make sure you're not missing out!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    you need a footpod to use it on a treadmill

but either way id go with what an HRM says over the treadmill
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    Dang, that's booshat fo really! I really want a HRM and am afraid it's gonna do me the same... just keep it up! We'll see some change!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I'm not the best at using HRMs for calculating calorie burn...I use a Bodybugg. :) But for 55 minutes, I'd think you would have burned more than that too. :(
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, are you sure that your model of the Garmin is suitable for use on the treadmill?
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405 and to use this one on a treadmill I have to add a foot pod.

Apparently this model, due to it's streamlined simplicity, is not compatible with the foot pod.

I don't know what to do, maybe I'll split the difference and just say it's in the middle?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Many of the older Garmins don't use HR to calculate calories burned. They primarily use distance and time. The HR function on those models is mainly so you can track your exertion level.

I was depressed to find I only burned 125 calories after climbing a mountain. The path was only 1.25 miles long, but at a 30-40% incline all of the way (1,200ft elevation gain in 1.25 miles). My Forerunner 305 didn't care that my heart was pounding out of the chest due to the incline. It just saw 1.25 miles walked in 30 minutes. I can only assume I burned closer to 500 calories with the AHR I maintained.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm reading your ticker wrong, but are you between 107lbs and 110lbs? If so, I wouldn't be surprised at wow calorie burn- the more in shape you are, the less calories you burn. I sometimes don't break 300 calories for a 45 min workout. At first I was devastated but I've learned to work in the burn I do get into my eating.
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Options
    Being in shape sucks for losing more fat. I would assume your HRM is more accurate as it has you put in your weight, height and age.

Basically you should concentrate on your diet more instead of obsessing over a few calories burned or not burned. Eating a piece of toast and jam is 200 calories, its much easier to cut out more food from your diet than to try and do massive calorie burns.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm reading your ticker wrong, but are you between 107lbs and 110lbs? If so, I wouldn't be surprised at wow calorie burn- the more in shape you are, the less calories you burn. I sometimes don't break 300 calories for a 45 min workout. At first I was devastated but I've learned to work in the burn I do get into my eating.

Good catch. Then the HRM seems more accurate. Did you enter your weight on the treadmill before using it? If you didn't, the readings are going to be way off. The HRM is most likely more accurate for someone of your weight.

EDIT: Also, it's important to know that the Treadmill doesn't actually take your heart rate into consideration when counting calories, it just does it based off of a projection based on weight, incline and speed. So that it had a close HR to your HRM doesn't mean it would calculate it the same.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Apparently this model, due to it's streamlined simplicity, is not compatible with the foot pod.

I don't know what to do, maybe I'll split the difference and just say it's in the middle?

What do you usually burn when you run outside? I estimate about 10 cals/minute for steady running, so if I'm using a treadmill (rare!) or doing some other exercise I tend to use this as a guide.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Go with the hrm! I got the footpod as well for my garmin 405cx and it is always way lower than any machines. I also have the bike cadence to use my road bike on the trainer. Same thing....way lower. Better to go with the hrm!
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

Good catch. Then the HRM seems more accurate. Did you enter your weight on the treadmill before using it? If you didn't, the readings are going to be way off. The HRM is most likely more accurate for someone of your weight.

EDIT: Also, it's important to know that the Treadmill doesn't actually take your heart rate into consideration when counting calories, it just does it based off of a projection based on weight, incline and speed. So that it had a close HR to your HRM doesn't mean it would calculate it the same.

I know my fitness level is a factor, but that just seemed really low, even for me. I do enter my weight into the treadmill.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

What do you usually burn when you run outside? I estimate about 10 cals/minute for steady running, so if I'm using a treadmill (rare!) or doing some other exercise I tend to use this as a guide.

I actually never really used my Garmin for calorie counting during my outdoor runs - I just went to runnersworld.com and used their calculator. I thought it'd be similar, since doing inclines is harder than running flat.

Do you know if this is accurate at all for other activities besides running (i.e. weight lifting or other cardio exercises)? Or maybe I should just invest in a Polar model.
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the same similar type of this happening, but im comparing the ellptical to what MFP says. Im confused. What to believe.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 just gave me 212 reading for an easily 450 calorie workout...there's a lot of sh*tting going on with our HRMs :(
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Judging from your size the HRM is probably correct. It's gonna take extra effort for you to burn the amount of calories you want since you're already pretty small.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I decided to hit the gym for a last minute weekend workout and I took my HRM with me (Garmin Forerunner 110) to see how it works. I've only really used it before this to GPS my runs outdoors. Anyway, so there I am, barreling away on a 15% incline on the treadmill as usual and I can see my HR is in between fat burn and cardio, closer to cardio, around the 150s. I double check my HRM measurement to the treadmill's and they're close - within 1 or 2 bpm each time. I think "Oh gravy! This should be good!"

Uh no.

I get off the machine and look at what the treadmill says I've burned in 55 minutes: 545 calories. I think to myself "Yipee! Go me!!" and then I look at my Garmin: 318 calories. DUDE. that's like a 230 difference!! That's HUGE!

I am now totally depressed. :(

We have the same model and the same depressive problem I think....

I have used mine 4 times since I got it last week - and apparently I dont burn many calories either. On 2 long, fast walks (4 m/p according to the GPS) - up and down hills and where I end up quite breathless AND sweaty - just 110 and 123 calories after 50mins. If I dont use the HRM and just go by what Garmin tells me its either just over or just under 200 calories. Then yesterday I went for a 50min RPM class - and let me tell you, I sweat and I damn well work hard. 170 calories - and its like the hardest I work - ever! According to Les Mills - these classes are designed to burn about 600-800 for the approximate women. Whats with my 170? Ive been doing this for 6 months, once a week and I KNOW I burn more than that. My legs are shaky afterwards and I look like Ive had a shower!! Oh and on a recent run - 26mins, 5kms so you know, not slow - but a PB and hard work all the same - 230 calories only.

I kind of wish I hadnt paid $50 extra for the thing. I was quite happy living in ignorant bliss with mfp and garmins calculations - which are often more than double!!

Ive tried everything - looking at the standing heart rate, performing a resting rate test etc. Nothing. Funily enough though - my partner has the same watch/hrm and he gets excellent burns - almost identical to what MFP estimates. And he is now on goal weight (where as I am still techinically overweight) - so Im not sure where the logic lies - the fitter/slimmer you are the less calories you burn.... Id love any help anyone can give me - before I chuck the stupid thing away or sell on ebay!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I actually never really used my Garmin for calorie counting during my outdoor runs - I just went to runnersworld.com and used their calculator. I thought it'd be similar, since doing inclines is harder than running flat.

Do you know if this is accurate at all for other activities besides running (i.e. weight lifting or other cardio exercises)? Or maybe I should just invest in a Polar model.

Does the runner's world site know how hard an effort was for you? Or just your pace and weight? Does it know gender and age even? Probably should have used HRM for comparison for a while.

You should be able to import your data and see what it has been for many past workouts to compare.

The HRM is more accurate than avg tables. Because someone exactly your size, age, but out of shape could have had a AHR of 180 trying to keep your pace (if they could really), and rightfully so, would have showed more calories burned.

Yep, in shape now. Sounds about right.

Bummer being efficient, huh.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ive tried everything - looking at the standing heart rate, performing a resting rate test etc. Nothing. Funily enough though - my partner has the same watch/hrm and he gets excellent burns - almost identical to what MFP estimates. And he is now on goal weight (where as I am still techinically overweight) - so Im not sure where the logic lies - the fitter/slimmer you are the less calories you burn.... Id love any help anyone can give me - before I chuck the stupid thing away or sell on ebay!!!

Have you entered all stats that it wants yourself?

What does it ask for BTW?

I have the Garmin 305 which does NOT use HR at all, and it asks for gender, age, weight. Which can make the pace estimates of calories more accurate than a treadmill at least, but not as much as HR being used.

I'm betting if max HR is not a stat to enter, it is estimating it. And the MHR value in calculations appears to be a bigger factor than age.
    And women have a much bigger error of accuracy for the formula's that are used for age and MHR, so that is probably off.

Better to lie to the HRM regarding your age, so that it knows your better estimated MHR.

I have post on that if needed.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Many of the older Garmins don't use HR to calculate calories burned. They primarily use distance and time. The HR function on those models is mainly so you can track your exertion level.

I was depressed to find I only burned 125 calories after climbing a mountain. The path was only 1.25 miles long, but at a 30-40% incline all of the way (1,200ft elevation gain in 1.25 miles). My Forerunner 305 didn't care that my heart was pounding out of the chest due to the incline. It just saw 1.25 miles walked in 30 minutes. I can only assume I burned closer to 500 calories with the AHR I maintained.

This.
    I have a Garmin 301 with HRM and it says right in the manual that the HRM is not used to calculate calories burned. It is only used to track exertion. It was disappointing. Luckily, I have another HRM.