Bodymedia vs HRM on beta blockers

Options
I am on beta blockers, and my HRM never gives me an accurate reading of my calories burned, since my HR is "muted" by the beta blockers. (at least it underestimates, not over estimates). Can anyone tell me if the Bodymedia (or Bodybugg) is more accurate for people on Beta blockers? My understanding is they (Bodymedia etc) use different "sensors" to track calories, and I'm not quite sure how much of that is heart rate dependent.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Replies

• alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'm not sure how to answer your question, but I can tell you that I love my bodymedia armband and it has helped me to remain very successful on my diet. It keeps me constantly pushing for an extra burn. Walking a few more steps, taking the stairs, parking further away. Its is the BEST! The following information was taken directly from their website and explains the different sensors that it uses:

Everything starts with the multi-sensor Armband from BodyMedia.The Armband takes a broad 24/7 view of your life by "reading" your body from five different perspectives.

The armband contains an "accelerometer", a device that we use to measure many aspects of motion. Your car air-bag system uses an accelerometer to know when you have been in an accident and deploy the air-bag, your Nintendo Wii game controller contains an accelerometer to measure how you move the controller to play the games.We counts your steps, using the distinctive walking and running motions measured by the accelerometer.

We measure your "Galvanic Skin Response". The two stainless steel pads on the back of your armband are the GSR sensor that determine how much you are sweating.

We measure your skin temperature using an electronic thermometer inside the armband.

We measure the rate at which heat is being dissipated from your body, this is your "heat flux". Exercise physiologists are interested in the heat energy produced by the body, your muscles are fairly inefficient and we all produce a lot of heat energy when we perform physical work.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot for that....I was going to go to their website, and you just saved me the hassle!

I thought it was based on some of those things mentioned. I still don't 100% know........ my sweating and skin temperature may be influenced by my heart rate, so if my beta blocker effects these, it still might indirectly influence the bodymedia reads. Who knows. Thanks for your response.

Any other thoughts from anyone?
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thought! Call their customer service department and ask them? Or maybe call your doctors office and ask them?

Also, you might ask the OP of the thread I will link you to below. She asked the same question as you a couple months ago:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/357392-looking-for-info-on-calories-burned-while-taking-beta-blocke