Lo-Cal Hobo Dinners (You've never seen a fat hobo, have you?

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bump
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hobos are my favorite meal. I don't know if they're all that low cal though but they sure are tasty. I've found the trick is to lure them into dark alleys and then bashing them over the head with a blunt object. This preserves the tasty, but fatty meat. In the industry we call that marbling.

I think they are 80 proof.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I got bludgeoned by a hobo once. He was morbidly obese, but i'm not one to judge.

Edited to Add
    In regards to the OP...that's some high quality aluminum foil
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Hobos are my favorite meal. I don't know if they're all that low cal though but they sure are tasty. I've found the trick is to lure them into dark alleys and then bashing them over the head with a blunt object. This preserves the tasty, but fatty meat. In the industry we call that marbling.

The hobo bashing industry?

I fear you are all mistaken about the fat hobo thing. That's not fat - that's booze bloat. They don't actually eat food but the steady diet of malt liquor and cigarette butts does give them a lovely gamey flavor similar to gnu or yak. I strongly suggest tenderizing hobo meat with a mallet before grilling.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I read carefully through the recipe, and while it looks pretty tasty, I note that there is no hobo in this recipe. Is the chicken a substitute? I find that while it can be substituted, old greasy goat meat is closer in flavor to hobo than chicken. Although I find hobo tends to be gamy and stringy unless you get a prime cut.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I read carefully through the recipe, and while it looks pretty tasty, I note that there is no hobo in this recipe. Is the chicken a substitute? I find that while it can be substituted, old greasy goat meat is closer in flavor to hobo than chicken. Although I find hobo tends to be gamy and stringy unless you get a prime cut.

Wow! You guys all had a party while I was gone.

Hate I missed it!

Yes, chicken is, in fact, a substitute for hobo in this recipe. In some parts of the country they can be harder to find-- and too thin to bother with. Apparently lots of you live near plentiful supplies of plump, juicy hobos and all I can say is, "I'm jealous!"

I've been trying to get our local supermarket to start stocking frozen hobo since fresh is so hard to find. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed on that one.

-Chelle
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We used to do these all the time, but we stoped for the simple reason that there were easier options out there. They were so good and this one looks to good to pass up trying some time soon. Thanks for the recipie :)
  • finallychelle
    Options
    If you cook then in the oven, what temp and time? Also, temp and time on a grill? Thanks so much! Looks delicious! :happy:

Since you're using cooked meat and veggies can be consumed anywhere from raw to mushy I would say that it's hard to go wrong. Bear in mind that we usually make these by shoving them into a campfire where there's *no* temperature control.

In our oven I usually cook them for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. It's okay to check them, from time to time, so you can get the veggies dialed in at whatever level of doneness you like.

The Liquid Smoke really makes a difference-- so be sure to add a few drops of that when you put all this together.

Good luck!

-Chelle
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I only use free range, organic, hormone-free hobos.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If you cook then in the oven, what temp and time? Also, temp and time on a grill? Thanks so much! Looks delicious! :happy:

My sister makes a recipe very similar to this in foil. She cooks for 45 minutes in at 350. She also browns the chicken first.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    wow looks great, we are planning on going camping in march and i was kinda worried about the food, but that looks totally do-able on a campfire! Thanks for sharing! :happy:

We actually wait for the fire to generate some coals and then put the foil right on top of the coals. It works great!

Another good campfire meal is to put some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a zip lock bag with some fat free zesty Italian dressing and let them marinate until you're ready to use them. Then just cook them over the campfire with a stick.

If any of the breasts are really fat you might want to cut them into two thinner cutlets to ensure that they cook all the way through.

If there will be electricity, I always bring a crock pot camping. A favorite is boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in either salsa or spaghetti sauce. You can also do breakfast casseroles in the crock pot so that you can wake up to the smell of breakfast.

Or you can put an upside down bowl in the bottom of your crock pot with a cup of water and sit a whole chicken on top of the bowl to keep it out of the drippings. Then let it cook all day and it will very nearly be "rotisserie chicken." Be sure to season it with yummy things like lemon pepper and garlic. Or Chipotle.

Of course a lean beef roast and a can of cream of mushroom soup is another great crock pot delicacy.

I love to cook-- and to camp-- and I'm already excited FOR you and your trip...!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options

I would, too, if I could afford them...!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Reckon I might try these out but sub the chicken for some fish :-))

I've made these with fish and they are fab! Great idea!

-Chelle
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Sadly, while our hobos are free range, it's very hard to find any that are drug free. Who's your supplier/
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    If there will be electricity, I always bring a crock pot camping. A favorite is boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked in either salsa or spaghetti sauce. You can also do breakfast casseroles in the crock pot so that you can wake up to the smell of breakfast.

If there's electricity, it isn't camping ;).

Dig a hole in your fire pit, insert cast-iron dutch oven with crock pot recipe, cover with hot coals. Deliciousness will follow.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Those look tasty, and yes, I've seen plenty of fat hobos.

uh...me too. lots.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Those aren't hobos. They're called hippies.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    If there's electricity, it isn't camping ;).

Dig a hole in your fire pit, insert cast-iron dutch oven with crock pot recipe, cover with hot coals. Deliciousness will follow.

I've camped in everything from pup tents to 5th wheels and RV's. My fav? Our little pop-up.

*With* electricity!

I do fine with primitive camping but at my age I prefer the more civilized version...

And if you're looking for recipes that use nothing but roots, berries, tree bark and pine cones I'm afraid I can't help you there-- you're on your own!

-Chelle
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys all had a party while I was gone.

Hate I missed it!

Yes, chicken is, in fact, a substitute for hobo in this recipe. In some parts of the country they can be harder to find-- and too thin to bother with. Apparently lots of you live near plentiful supplies of plump, juicy hobos and all I can say is, "I'm jealous!"

I've been trying to get our local supermarket to start stocking frozen hobo since fresh is so hard to find. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed on that one.

-Chelle
    Well done, Chelle.

Why can't we have more OPs that come back to find their thread derailed, and instead of getting miffed, provide some of the choicest commentary of the now-derailed thread?

Kids, that's how its done.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    wow looks great, we are planning on going camping in march and i was kinda worried about the food, but that looks totally do-able on a campfire! Thanks for sharing! :happy:

We actually wait for the fire to generate some coals and then put the foil right on top of the coals. It works great!

Another good campfire meal is to put some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a zip lock bag with some fat free zesty Italian dressing and let them marinate until you're ready to use them. Then just cook them over the campfire with a stick.

If any of the breasts are really fat you might want to cut them into two thinner cutlets to ensure that they cook all the way through.

Or you can put an upside down bowl in the bottom of your crock pot with a cup of water and sit a whole chicken on top of the bowl to keep it out of the drippings. Then let it cook all day and it will very nearly be "rotisserie chicken." Be sure to season it with yummy things like lemon pepper and garlic. Or Chipotle.

Of course a lean beef roast and a can of cream of mushroom soup is another great crock pot delicacy.

I love to cook-- and to camp-- and I'm already excited FOR you and your trip...!

-Chelle

Great ideas I will def try these, thanks so much! :happy: