how does this work?

Options
Hi all, I'm new here and I am interested in finding out how this program works. How do I know how many calories I need to.consume and is it better not to work out so u don't have to eat a lot more?city I.don't have much time at home so its not easy. Thank a lot

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Go to MY HOME/GOALS and follow the instructions to enter your data and MFP will calculate the calorie allowance for you.

It is your choice whether to exercise or not - if so, you get to eat extra to cover the extra energy expended.
    Exercising isn't essential for weight loss but it is very good for your general health and helps you to build more muscles (which burn more calories than fat) so has a positive impact on your health and maintaining your weight in the longer term.
  • cynthialaurel29
    Options
    :) thank you. I did it ! I'm kind of.debating to begin this or nutrisystem.
  • cynthialaurel29
    Options
    I truly don't understand how this will work. I'm a little skeptical.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just follow the set up, enter foods that you eat during the day, it will tell you how many calories you've eaten (plus protein, carbs, fat, etc) and how many you have left for the day, or if you've gone over. At the end of the day, you click Complete This Entry at the bottom of your food diary and it tells you an estimation of how much you'd weigh if you ate like this every day.

If you do exercise, you can log that into the database and it will show that you burned however many calories and figure that into your daily allowance. It's really a simple system, might take a few days to figure what works best for you, based on whatever goals you have. Of all the online fitness programs/apps I've tried, My Fitness Pal is the best and easiest to use. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem is a "diet." They tell YOU exactly what to eat and how much.

MyFitnessPal (MFP) is NOT a diet. YOU put in the foods you eat. Based upon your height, weight, gender, activity level .... you have a certain calorie allotment. The foods you eat count against the allotment, the exercise you put in "credits" your allotment. This MAKES SENSE because active people use more calories than inactive people.

MFP is NOT a diet because ...... the goal is to LEARN how to eat properly. Most of us are working on "Lifestyle" changes. Only when you eat properly, can you MAINTAIN a weight loss. Nutrisystem (I've not used it) ... but I'm pretty sure it teaches you nothing.

Re: exercise. Yes if your only goal is to move the numbers on the scale ... exercise is not necessary. If your goal is to be fit & healthy ... I believe exercise is important. I want to lose fat NOT muscle. Dieting alone ... you will most likely lose some muscle too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!