No weight loss, please help, new to the forum

Options
Hi, I had my 3rd baby 6 months ago. I had lost 36lb 3 months later, but with some family problems put 11lb back on.
In the new year, I started again, lost 7lb straight away (in the first 10 days) but in the last 14 days, despite extremely healthy eating, no cravings, lots of walking FAST I have lost NOTHING more. I am heartbroken. What am I doing wrong? I am calorie counting using some basic food combining principals and walking 2miles at a 4mph pace about 3-4x a week. I have 3 kids, so never a dull moment, busy on my feet a lot but maintaining 183lb and no budge.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary people will be able to look at it and hopefully give you some advice.
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Thanks, just made it public to view and look forward to comments
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Anyone :(
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Well thanks for your help then
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you need to be eating more. I would set you goals to 1 or 1.5lbs per week and MFP should give you more calories to eat each day. Also, be sure to log your exercise calories burned because you should be eating those calories back to NET at least 1200 calories each day. :smile: Be sure to drink at leat 8 cups of water per day. Other than that, just give it time. :smile:
  • Venus2011
    Options
    Also look at inches lost and not just weight lost. For 2 weeks I did not lose a pound but today I lost 1.5 pounds. The good thing is you are exercising and using the food diary. Make sure you get your 8 cups of water in per day. And chart your walking/exercise in. Happy journey:bigsmile:
  • gawj1512
    Options
    I do chart my exercise when I get time to do any. The thing is, I am also self-employed, working from home, running a home, mother to 3 young kids AND carer for my sick father... not getting a great deal of time here to exercise! I want to do more, just not sure what I can fit into the tiny amount of spare time I have without going insane.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I do chart my exercise when I get time to do any. The thing is, I am also self-employed, working from home, running a home, mother to 3 young kids AND carer for my sick father... not getting a great deal of time here to exercise! I want to do more, just not sure what I can fit into the tiny amount of spare time I have without going insane.

The good thing for you is diet is a big part of losing weight, exercise is just extra (and toning later on). Focus on your eating and just add in little things here and there with exercise (take stairs instead of elevator, run around playing with your kids, etc.
  • gawj1512
    Options
    When am I gonna see some weight loss? I've been very strict. I fill up on fruit, which on Slimming World is a free food, despite fructose content. Others would say limit fruit because of fructose! Dieting is very confusing. I tend to fill up on what SW consider 'free foods' whilst still trying to come in under 1400 cals a day.
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Really surprised at the lack of responses, when similar posts have so many more responses, I am guessing people are just stumped and cannot find a reason for my lack of weight loss.
  • jobie4153
    Options
    I finally lost 1 pound today....after not losing anything since January 16th!!! Hang in there and try not to be discouraged!
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Congrats, well done
  • redkim615
    redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You may want to have your thyroid checked at the doctor. If it isn't working correctly then you will have trouble losing weight no matter how hard you try. The problem is usually easily fixed with medication.
    Hopefully that is not the case, but if you don't have any trouble with getting a quick check-up then that's what I would do. Stress can also hinder weight loss because it raises your cortisol levels.
    Check out these links for more info:

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf

I am just pointing this out because your food diary looks good and you say that you are doing moderate exercise...so really, you should be losing weight. Don't let my post alarm you, this problem affects a lot of people. Take care and I hope things look up for you soon.
  • gawj1512
    Options
    You may want to have your thyroid checked at the doctor. If it isn't working correctly then you will have trouble losing weight no matter how hard you try. The problem is usually easily fixed with medication.
    Hopefully that is not the case, but if you don't have any trouble with getting a quick check-up then that's what I would do. Stress can also hinder weight loss because it raises your cortisol levels.
    Check out these links for more info:

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf

I am just pointing this out because your food diary looks good and you say that you are doing moderate exercise...so really, you should be losing weight. Don't let my post alarm you, this problem affects a lot of people. Take care and I hope things look up for you soon.

I do have to wonder if it's cortisol related, since I am under a hell of a lot of pressure lately. When I dieted back in October, I lost 10lb in the first 2 weeks, then nothing for 3wks, then 2lb in the 5th week then all the problems started and I piled 11lb back on by Christmas. In the new year I lost 7lb in 10 days. So it's not my thyroid because I can lose, but this sudden lack of losing weight could be cortisol related, I concur with that. Thank you for replying x
  • chickadee2586
    Options
    I'm a newbie, down about 7 lbs, but I've tried to limit my carbs this week and have noticed a difference just on the day to day level. Right now I aim at about a 40/30/30 ratio. I like it thus far.

A quick look at your diary shows you're eating a a lot of carbs. Try the 40/30/30 and see how I works?
  • gawj1512
    Options
    I'm a newbie, down about 7 lbs, but I've tried to limit my carbs this week and have noticed a difference just on the day to day level. Right now I aim at about a 40/30/30 ratio. I like it thus far.

A quick look at your diary shows you're eating a a lot of carbs. Try the 40/30/30 and see how I works?

Hey, ok, what's 40/30/30? Can you give me an example please? Thanks x
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started! I lost 7lbs right away and it took me close to 4 weeks so see the scale move at all. I had to keep going though because this time around my husband had decided to join me on my get healthy course. I have three children so I have the baby weight packed on.
    Just hang in there...trust me I KNOW it sucks to step on that scale and not see any movement but give it time just keep going with it. This really does work. I have only been on here since October and I have lost 12+ pounds (I had lost more but took a vacation and now I am trying to lose the 5 that I gained).
  • gawj1512
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started! I lost 7lbs right away and it took me close to 4 weeks so see the scale move at all. I had to keep going though because this time around my husband had decided to join me on my get healthy course. I have three children so I have the baby weight packed on.
    Just hang in there...trust me I KNOW it sucks to step on that scale and not see any movement but give it time just keep going with it. This really does work. I have only been on here since October and I have lost 12+ pounds (I had lost more but took a vacation and now I am trying to lose the 5 that I gained).

Thank you! You're doing great! I am going on my vacation in 2 weeks time but really am going to try so hard to keep up the dieting and swim every day for half an hour... I MAY have the odd treat, but not alcohol
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I noticed you haven't logged your exercise. Remember that you need to eat more if you are exercising a lot. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Really surprised at the lack of responses, when similar posts have so many more responses, I am guessing people are just stumped and cannot find a reason for my lack of weight loss.
    We get weary of saying the same thing.
    You're engaging in total self sabotage.
    Are you exercising? And why are you eating so little?
    You are going to fail with this approach.
    Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.

AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!