About to start lifting, need all the help I can get!

Options
Hi everyone, I've decided to start lifting but I have NO idea where to start! I'll be buying a dumbbell and barbell set with 25kg worth of weights for now. I don't have room for a bench or any of the fancy stuff.

What exercises should I be doing with the weights? My problem areas are the good ol love handles and flat butt syndrome haha
so anything that helps those areas would be a bonus, but obviously want to work the whole bod!

Also, how much protein should I be aiming for each day?

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is what I do - obviously you won't be able to do all of the leg stuff because it's on machines, but its a general thing :-)

Day 1:

Seated Ab Twist - 5kgs - 3 x 20
    Ab Leg Extensions - 6 x 10
    Ab Leg Lifts - 6 x 10
    Side Bends - 10kg - 3 x 10 either side

Squats with barbell - 40kg - 3 x 10
    Adductor - 30kg - 3 x 10
    Leg Press (Single Leg) - 30kg - 3 x 10 either side
    Leg Curls - 20kg - 3 x 10
    Leg Extensions - 20kg - 3 x 10

Day 2:

Ab Leg Lifts - 6 x 10

Tricep Pull Down - 10kg - 3 x 10
    Bicep Curls - 5kg each arm - 3 x 10
    Shoulder Press - 5kg each arm - 3 x 10
    Bench Press - 30kg - 3 x 10

Day 3:

Ab Leg Lifts - 6 x 10

Lunges - 8kg each hand - 3 x 10
    Reverse Lunges - 8kg each hand - 3 x 10
    Standing Calf Raises - 10kg each hand - 3 x 10
    Leg Press (Single Leg) - 30kg - 3 x 10 either side
    Adductor - 30kg - 3 x 10

Shoulder Press - 5kg either hand - 3 x 10

I do abs each time because I am trying to focus on them. I know you cannot spot reduce, but I am doing other things to lower the body fat all over, I feel that I am accomplishing something from focussing on my abs every time I do a strength/weight work out.

Each workout is roughly an hour a time - I do these in the mornings on Monday/Weds/Fri
    I also do BodyCombat on Monday evening, Zumba Tuesday Evening, Boxercise Weds Evening, and Bums and Tums Thursday Evening. Sometimes, I throw in a Jillian Michaels DVD on a Sat or Sunday - but I work in a nightclub on the weekends so running around there is exercise on its own!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Two awesome books are New Rules Of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) and Smart Girls Use Dumbbells. Both of these incorporate all-body workouts to burn fat and improve body shape using simple weights and not much else.

NROLFW comes with a diet plan, and you'll see as many variances in how much protein you should eat as people you ask.
    Some well-established research recommends that endurance and strength-trained athletes have between 1.2 and 1.7 g/kg (0.5 - 0.8 grams per pound) of protein for the best performance and health.

Or you can simply change your MFP macro ration to 40/30/30 carbs/fats/protein. I like simple :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Here is a great website:
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/

And here as well:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful! and wow that's a lot of exercise! Wish I had the time to get that much in! It's difficult with 3 kids though, but I'm determined to get in as much as I can!
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations...and I like simple too ha!
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks :-)
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Here is a great website:
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/

And here as well:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/

*Love* this stumpuous site, thanks!!

I also fully recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler, excellent book. Completely changed the way I lift and the way I look at my workouts... you can do a much shorter, but more effective workout, thus accommodating your three kiddos (I have two, so I hear your need for speed!!). Have a look at my diaries for protein ideas and level. I too do the 40/30/30.