Drink more water :-)

Options
I've always been the type of person that just never seems thirsty and I usually only get 5 -8 ounce glasses in a day, on a good day. I just feel sick if I drink when I'm not thirsty. How can I get all my water in? Do I just force myself or are there any tips out there? Help!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink water when I am not thirsty. I drink tea all day instead. Then it feels like food.
  • mczwright
    Options
    Does that still count as your water intake? I have tea (home-brewed) that is sweetened with zero calorie sweetener.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Get a massive jug of water, fill it up and leave it on your table, and drink from it :) you'll find you'll drink a lot LOL
  • Ashamelee
    Ashamelee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try adding something to the water to make it a bit more interesting.. if you're lucky enough to live somewhere that has "Crystal lite" or something else like that, (I live in Australia and we don't have it) you could try that.... for me personally I love citrus, so I put lemon, lime or even a squeeze of orange juice (from a fresh orange) in my water just to make it a little more interesting, as i find it hard to just drink just water, and find that I really have to force it when I'm not thirsty..

If you really aren't thirsty at all you could try eating foods that have a high water content.. cucumbers, melons, tomatos, celery or any leafy greens..
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water with a dash of lemon juice is nice :)
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you just need to get used to it!
    Start drinking when you are neither hungry nor thirsty and you will feel the need of another glass :)
  • Zannukene
    Zannukene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water makes me feel sick aswell, I prefer green tea. It helps with digestion and is very good for you :)
  • mczwright
    Options
    Maybe I could add raspberries to it...those are my favorite!
  • mczwright
    Options
    Thank you so much for the tips everyone. I'll try each one to see if it works!!
  • fteale
    Options
    Does that still count as your water intake? I have tea (home-brewed) that is sweetened with zero calorie sweetener.

Yes. It's liquid, it counts.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just gulp it down.
    We learned in the USMC long before Nike' came along.
    JUST DO IT!
  • DaniChan
    Options
    Tea or coffee doiesn't count as your water intake because it actually dehydrates you due to the caffiene
  • fteale
    Options
    Tea or coffee doiesn't count as your water intake because it actually dehydrates you due to the caffiene

That is total rubbish
  • mczwright
    Options

What if my tea is decaf?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I wrote on another post :)

As long as you are giving yourself at least 8 glasses a day... you are good. I drink out of a 20oz cup at work and usually go through at least 3 of them, which gives me 60oz.......plus at the gym I do at least 24oz and then maybe another 8oz when I get home. I don't set a certain goal for water. I struggle with drinking water when I am at home, I barely drink anything for some reason. At work I am on the phone all day so I tend to need more there.

Totally Incorrect :-)

You need to drink when you feel you need to, and no force yourself.
    Drinking more is as dangerous as drinking less. (Increase level of water, while decreasing sodium level via the diuresis)
    In fact for an exercise, you better should have small but numerous intakes, but that doesn't mean you need to drink more.

There are imho two REAL indicators : the feeling of being thirsty (the most important one), and the urines color. (less pertinent)
    Drinking more is useless (appart preserving performance during an exercise). In 2002 and 2008 two big studies explained how useless it was to drink over your need, appart going to toilets more often.
    Moreover people tend to forget all the water they drink via the food they eat. That is why in fact we don't feel that much the thirsty feeling ;)

Read that :
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--8785-0,00.html
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/batman.html
    http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
    Edited by Razique on Mon 01/30/12 10:55 AM

:)
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options

Not sure this is entirely true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5281046.stm

Might be an old post but it makes sense...well to me anyways :-))
  • mczwright
    Options
    I wrote on another post :)

As long as you are giving yourself at least 8 glasses a day... you are good. I drink out of a 20oz cup at work and usually go through at least 3 of them, which gives me 60oz.......plus at the gym I do at least 24oz and then maybe another 8oz when I get home. I don't set a certain goal for water. I struggle with drinking water when I am at home, I barely drink anything for some reason. At work I am on the phone all day so I tend to need more there.

Totally Incorrect :-)

You need to drink when you feel you need to, and no force yourself.
    Drinking more is as dangerous as drinking less. (Increase level of water, while decreasing sodium level via the diuresis)
    In fact for an exercise, you better should have small but numerous intakes, but that doesn't mean you need to drink more.

There are imho two REAL indicators : the feeling of being thirsty (the most important one), and the urines color. (less pertinent)
    Drinking more is useless (appart preserving performance during an exercise). In 2002 and 2008 two big studies explained how useless it was to drink over your need, appart going to toilets more often.
    Moreover people tend to forget all the water they drink via the food they eat. That is why in fact we don't feel that much the thirsty feeling ;)

Read that :
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--8785-0,00.html
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/batman.html
    http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
    Edited by Razique on Mon 01/30/12 10:55 AM

:)

Hmm...
    Thanks so much!
  • fteale
    Options

What if my tea is decaf?

It really doesn't matter. Tea does not dehydrate you, or millions of people in China and India would be desiccated corpses, as the is all they drink. The amount of caffeine in tea has no notable effect at all.
  • mczwright
    Options

What if my tea is decaf?

It really doesn't matter. Tea does not dehydrate you, or millions of people in China and India would be desiccated corpses, as the is all they drink. The amount of caffeine in tea has no notable effect at all.

Thank you for clarifying! :-)
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but one of MFP friends gave me a tip & it helps.
    He was saying to try & incorporate it into your day so I try have a small glass in the morning, lunch, evening & bedtime
    So I get 4 glasses now where I used to get none and it doesn't feel like a chore
    Mind you I really don't know if I'll ever make it to 8 glasses a day :ohwell: