Insane people taking it too far!

Options
2»

Replies

• KineticPearl
    KineticPearl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Got to go when you can really. Also think that to these people 4am is likely their 7am or 5pm. Good on them for getting there.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The title of this topic is wrong. How are they taking it too far? If there was a 24 hour gym near me I would be there at 2am, 1. because I have a messed up sleep pattern and 2. because there would be less people taking up the equipment. This does not mean I would spend all night there, just the normal amount of time to get a decent calorie burn. That may make me more dedicated to reaching my goals but it would not make me insane or mean I was taking things too far. Maybe you need to choose your words carefully before you post? :ohwell:

I don't think the title is wrong. The article mentions people working out 5-10 hours A DAY. That is crazy.

But that's what they do on The Biggest Loser and such programmes, if TV says it's what to do lots of people will follow. People have very different circumstances and goals, what makes it OK to call them insane/crazy?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    But that's what they do on The Biggest Loser and such programmes, if TV says it's what to do lots of people will follow. People have very different circumstances and goals, what makes it ok to call them insane?

I think forgoing sleep to spent 5-10 hours in a gym every day is not sane. Nor is it particularly healthy. There is more to life than exercising.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I guess if you work night shift you get it, and if you don't work night shift you don't get it. I work nightshift, I totally get it. There is nothing insane about it.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with that? I love gyms that are open 24hrs. I have worked night shifts most of my career, so on my days off I'd often work out at 2AM, which was like my 2PM...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    But that's what they do on The Biggest Loser and such programmes, if TV says it's what to do lots of people will follow. People have very different circumstances and goals, what makes it ok to call them insane?

I think forgoing sleep to spent 5-10 hours in a gym every day is not sane. Nor is it particularly healthy. There is more to life than exercising.

Depends on your outlook on life.
    I for one, sure I still spend time with my friends but am usually in the gym at least 2 hours 6 days per week... I love exercise, it is my antidepressant AND I am studying to become a Personal Trainer! and I wanna own my own gym one day, so... I'd say it is my life.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I don't like getting up at 5AM but it's the only time of the day I can workout. If I didn't get up that early I'd still be 250lbs or more.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I for one, sure I still spend time with my friends but am usually in the gym at least 2 hours 6 days per week... I love exercise, it is my antidepressant AND I am studying to become a Personal Trainer! and I wanna own my own gym one day, so... I'd say it is my life.

2 hours vs 5-10 hours........

And working there vs not. If you have a job, and spend 5-10 hours in the gym on top of that, when do you sleep? There aren't enough hours in the day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i love doing my exercise at 5am on a work day. all done by 6am and makes you feel more alert and happy for the day x
  • dslmech98
    Options
    I go to gym at 4 am but only because im in afghanistan and the only time i get to talk to my wife is between 5am and 7 am. then its work for 7 to 7. after that gym is too full to get to do my workout
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Who says they don't sleep, I can't find that in the article, even if they spend 10 hours in the gym there are still another 14 hours in the day. Like the majority of the replies on this topic say, it's personal choice, if I choose to sleep from noon until 8pm and spend all night in the gym I would not be losing out on sleep.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My gym is 24 hrs.. and while I have never ventured there in the wee hours of the morning or late at night for that matter, it's nice to have that option if my situation was ever to change.

I've talked to trainers/gym staff and they always say that there are people willing to train at 5 am or midnight... which is crazy but to each their own!
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    Judging others for anything they do is just a reflection on how you feel about yourself. Who cares what anybody in the whole world is doing? Don't you have enough to consider taking care of yourself? What anybody else does or doesn't do is really none of your concern. Opinions are just that, opinions. Just like this reply. It's my opinion, but I really could care less who likes it or who doesn't. But I certainly don't go around judging others for thier ways of life. Who's to say any one persons way is right? Who?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/29/exercise-in-all-night-gym

NOTHING could persuade me that going to the gym at 4 am was a good idea.
    I get to work at 6:30 in the morning. If I want to have an evening that includes anything other than working out and preparing and eating dinner and cleaning up, I need to be up by 4 or 4:30 to work out.

I don't think it's insane or taking it too far to work your workout into your schedule while still having a life.

I'd go to the gym that early, but mine doesn't open until 5:30, which is too late for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The title of this topic is wrong. How are they taking it too far? If there was a 24 hour gym near me I would be there at 2am, 1. because I have a messed up sleep pattern and 2. because there would be less people taking up the equipment. This does not mean I would spend all night there, just the normal amount of time to get a decent calorie burn. That may make me more dedicated to reaching my goals but it would not make me insane or mean I was taking things too far. Maybe you need to choose your words carefully before you post? :ohwell:

I don't think the title is wrong. The article mentions people working out 5-10 hours A DAY. That is crazy.

Then maybe you should have mentioned that in your OP rather than the 4 a.m. thing. Those are very different issues.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

And working there vs not. If you have a job, and spend 5-10 hours in the gym on top of that, when do you sleep? There aren't enough hours in the day.

Its 1 person saying he works out that much. Did you even read the article? Its not all of them, its 1 person. Everyone else there was normal doing their workout and going home or to their job. Some of them were insomniacs, some worked shift. They all seemed normal to me.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Judging others for anything they do is just a reflection on how you feel about yourself. Who cares what anybody in the whole world is doing? Don't you have enough to consider taking care of yourself? What anybody else does or doesn't do is really none of your concern. Opinions are just that, opinions. Just like this reply. It's my opinion, but I really could care less who likes it or who doesn't. But I certainly don't go around judging others for thier ways of life. Who's to say any one persons way is right? Who?

+1
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/29/exercise-in-all-night-gym

NOTHING could persuade me that going to the gym at 4 am was a good idea.

If the people in this article are crazy, what are these people?

http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/page/show/311976-lt-100-mile-run

Or These people:

http://www.cyclingnomads.com/
  • tburley32
    Options
    Insane is making excuses!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Its 1 person saying he works out that much. Did you even read the article? Its not all of them, its 1 person. Everyone else there was normal doing their workout and going home or to their job. Some of them were insomniacs, some worked shift. They all seemed normal to me.