Weight training

Options
Today I want to add some weight machines into my routine. My question is how to log this in as exercise? Is it considered circuit training?. I cannot find anything listed under the strength training on the exercise screen for weights.

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Under cardio there's an exercise called "Strength training." Use that. You can use circuit training, but I'd suggest using that only if you're doing very minimal rest between sets and your heart rate is staying high since circuit training tends to have more of a cardiovascular function to it than straight strength training.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You do not log it except as resistance which will not show up as calories burned.
    BUMMER huh?:brokenheart:
    And don't fall in the notion that resistance can then be skipped like some do.
    Resistance exercise has benefits beyond mere calorie burn in overall health.
    It's one of those things where you either fudge, and add it as cadio, or just consider it a part of daily activity.

I do both!
    Finding our own personal "zone" can be challenging, so do what you think is best for you. Experiment.
    Have fun, and good luck!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You do not list it.
    Resistance exercise has benefits beyond mere calorie burn.
    It's one of those things where you either fudge, and add it as cadio or consider it a part of daily activity.

That's debatable really. And assuming you're keeping up the intensity and not overestimating vastly, there's no harm in adding strength training to your exercise log.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You do not list it.
    It's one of those things where you either fudge, and add it as cadio or consider it a part of daily activity.

That's debatable really. And assuming you're keeping up the intensity and not overestimating vastly, there's no harm in adding strength training to your exercise log.

I agree. It doesn't log very many calories for strength training, so yes log it as cardiovascular under this.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You do not list it.

Actually, I do add it, but MFP could never manage any kind of reliable data base for resistance.
    The cardio listings for calorie burn is already way off for my needs, so people who want to do this need to take their best guess.

I've had to do that with all of my exercises, because i stray WAY off the beaten path when it comes to physical training. Nothing I do is listed in that data base. I have had to make up all my own exercises and calorie burn rates. Trial and error bro!
    And in no time, I found my zone.