High Protein

Options
Hey can anyone tell me if too much protein is bad or not? i can hit every other target set but when it comes to protein i can be double the amount i should be having.
I love chicken so i do not want to cut that out.

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    MFP settings are far too low on protein. Do not stress going over on protein at all.

trt to always be under on fat and carbs and always over on protein whilst being at your calorie goal and you will be ok.
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I am always going over on protein too so was wondering the same thing, I am focusing at the moment to defo not go over my carbs because I was only paying attention to the calories.
  • wendyd18
    Options
    thanks for that! i am well under or on perfect track with everything else. Must say hard to get my calorise up when i exercise so i treat myself to some toffees to get my calories back to a level.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No it does't - in fact, I BET you cannot find one piece of evidence on a healthy set of kidneys that protein does any damage.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study.

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]”

Abstract

They concluded that a protective effect of high-casein diet against CsA-induced proximal tubular damage was observed in Sprague–Dawley rats. Lacroix et al. studied the effects of a very-high-protein diet in rats over a period of 6 months. Forty eight Wistar rats received either a normal-protein diet (14% protein) or a very-high-protein diet (50% protein). No nephrocalcinosis, no area of collagenous sclerosis, and no hypercellularity were detectable. Also, endothelial and mesangial cells were normal and so were surrounding tubules.

Source

Pons M, Plante I, LeBrun M et al. Protein-rich diet attenuates cyclosporin A-induced renal tubular damage in rats. J Renal Nutr 2003; 13: 84–92”
  • missismj
    missismj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When you are active you should have 90-135g of protein a day.....
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    When you are active you should have 90-135g of protein a day.....

Up to 2.8g per kilo of body weight. That means I can safely have 330g a day myself. Arguably more.