Need a diet/exercise critique ... come on out experts!

Options
2»

Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    More protein and fiber? I'm suggesting these two things because this is what tends to help keep me full longer so that I'm not making terrible food choices and just grabbing whatever is convenient when I'm hungry.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your food choices are poor, and your calories are too low most days.
    Eat back your exercise calories or your metabolism will stifle.

MFP has calculated our total calories required each day WITHOUT exercise to lose 1lb per week.
    And after we log in our exercises, our calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

Thanks so much for that.. I have wanted that one explained to me for a while.. It makes perfect sense.. Thank you....
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    My struggles are simmilar right now, I suggest(and this is just a suggestions I am not a doctor) get a heart rate monitor to track your exact calroie burn. plan you meals or entire day ahead. google a food guide or ask your GF nutritionist about healthy meal ideas. Add sodium to your tracking, you will be surprised how much salt can affect your weight and water retention. Tostitos are pretty high in salt. as everyone will say: eat more veggies, fruit and protiene are key to appetite control. and water, lots of water. Avoid caffeine in excess and dont drink or eat "diet" anything for 1 month and see if it helps by "diet" i mean diet coke or an y diet drink. or frozen weight control meals etc. some people actually gain weight when consuming fake sugars. google that too, there is plenty of university run studies regarding the consumption of artificial sweeterns and the effects ont he metabolism and body. but most importantly do some research, get some simple recipies, and try healty unprocessed foods, you will find what works by trial and error. Arm yourself with knowledge and all your hard work will pay off. nobodys perfect and treat foods have their place, but if your struggling or having a hard time asking questions and getting info is great, but what you do with it, thats what matters.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been trying to get more protein/fiber in my life. Since I started the NROLW program, it's the first time that I really paid attention to my macros. Fiber is tough without being able to eat gluten!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Your food choices are poor, and your calories are too low most days.
    Eat back your exercise calories or your metabolism will stifle.

MFP has calculated our total calories required each day WITHOUT exercise to lose 1lb per week.
    And after we log in our exercises, our calorie limit goes up.
    Why?
    Because it's telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    Then you have to lower calories even more to compensate, and the cycle continues.
    Be smart.

He always hits the nail on the head ... But one suggestion ... Get an HRM and use accurate calculations before you go eating everything MFP says you have ... They tend to grossly over estimate your exercise calories ! And if you begin strength training with weights ... You will initially see a gain ... But no worries, it will eventually turn cycle and you will notice a more leaner body. Don't rely on a scale to make you feel good ... If your all about numbers ... Start measuring inches !

Best of luck and stay focused ... You got this ! :)
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    He always hits the nail on the head ... But one suggestion ... Get an HRM and use accurate calculations before you go eating everything MFP says you have ... They tend to grossly over estimate your exercise calories ! And if you begin strength training with weights ... You will initially see a gain ... But no worries, it will eventually turn cycle and you will notice a more leaner body. Don't rely on a scale to make you feel good ... If your all about numbers ... Start measuring inches !

Best of luck and stay focused ... You got this ! :)

Not sure why it added my response to the middle of his ! Hmmmmm .... Glitch !
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!