5lbs a month?

Options
hi all
I used to easily lose 10lbs a month. This month I only lost 5. Since Im about 50lbs from my goal can I no longer lose my 2lbs a week?
I figured 30lbs from goal was more along the 1lb a week area and 10lbs along the half a pound a week area. Am I simply off with my assumptions or am I doing something wrong now?
Simply curious.
Kimmy

Replies

• samantha196
    Options
    Hi. I've read that when you first start you tend to lose more and then slow down. This could be the case for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hi all
    I used to easily lose 10lbs a month. This month I only lost 5. Since Im about 50lbs from my goal can I no longer lose my 2lbs a week?
    I figured 30lbs from goal was more along the 1lb a week area and 10lbs along the half a pound a week area. Am I simply off with my assumptions or am I doing something wrong now?
    Simply curious.
    Kimmy

You should be aiming to lose 1 lb a month now. As you decrease in size, your body can't sustain a large deficit.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is up to 2lbs per week. Slower is better. The faster you take the weight off (especially when you're smaller) te faster you'll put it back on.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You should be aiming to lose 1 lb a month now. As you decrease in size, your body can't sustain a large deficit.
    No... did you mean 1 lb a week?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No... did you mean 1 lb a week?

Sorry, yea 1 per week or a 500 calorie deficit. Also, go back and look at your food diary and see how much you have been under your daily goal. I know many people on here strive to be 100+ calories under their goal. This is another benefit of setting a lower deficit. This way when you eat more, it's not a psychological issue of seeing red.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    hi all
    Simply curious.
    Kimmy

^^ This ^^

It's about percentages. The % of weight loss based on your body mass will stay relatively the same, but the weight loss will drop.

Example a 200 lb person losing 2 lbs is a 1% loss, where as a 100 lb person losing 2 lbs is a 2% loss it's a greater percentage, and there is a threshold for the human body.

It's the same reason why the people on Biggest Loser drop massive weight the first few weeks then it gets more reasonable as they get down to target weights. The final two are fighting way harder to lose 1-2 lbs at that point.

EDIT: Yeah, it should be 1 per week, not month. I missed that too.