Ankle and Wrist Weights???

Options
I just bought 5 lb ankle and wrist weights. My question is has anyone else tried them during cardio and what were your results? My plan is to use them not only at the gym but when commuting back and forth to work, running errands etc. I just figured that it would be a good way to burn calories. Any suggestions or testimonies? Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just bought 5 lb ankle and wrist weights. My question is has anyone else tried them during cardio and what were your results? My plan is to use them not only at the gym but when commuting back and forth to work, running errands etc. I just figured that it would be a good way to burn calories. Any suggestions or testimonies? Thanks! :happy:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    It is not a good idea to use wrist and ankle weights during cardio. All it does is add more stress on your joints and make your body heavier overall... which isn't that much more challenging, and therefore isn't likely to burn a ton more calories.

Instead, your wrist and ankle weights should be incorporated into your strength training. Ankle weights are great for hip abduction/adduction if you do not have a machine. Also for leg lifts. If you're doing some circuit training, you can wear the weights for some added intensity.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I use 0.75# weights on each of my hands during cardio & love it. Just for the sake of this question, I picked up my 5# dumbells & did a couple of my regular moves...OMG, I don't think that's a good thing! 5# seems like a LOT of extra to be throwing around during a cardio routine!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I like wrist weights for most things

ankle weights ONLY for ab work....I would not suggest using ankle weights for much else....the knee is a real bummer to stress and injure and ankle weights are added stress to the knee
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've also read that you should not use ankle and wrist weights while doing cardio. It opens you up for joint injuries. Be careful if you do decide to use them.
  • shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I did some research myself (I probably should have done this before purchasing them) and I do not think that it is a good idea. I had a scope done on my knee two years ago and I would hate to aggravate that. Think I'll just change the resistance on the machines. Thanks!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I did some research myself (I probably should have done this before purchasing them) and I do not think that it is a good idea. I had a scope done on my knee two years ago and I would hate to aggravate that. Think I'll just change the resistance on the machines. Thanks!

You can still use those weights for your resistance training, though!
  • keshia_v03
    Options
    I'm glad you came to your senses because that did not seem like a good idea. You could have definitely injured yourself since you stated you had a scope done on your knee. Stick to strengh training because you will see more results that way. Happy Weight Loss.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Keep them for your strength training! Especially since you've had work done on them. I agree with everyone else, it's a bad idea to strap them on your ankles. Using hand weights while walking is fine though.