bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many people here know its actually pronounced "Keen-wa"

Nope!! Me neither...

I did.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I didn't know for a long time but I figured it out about six months ago.

Me = Not very bright.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    How many people here know its actually pronounced "Keen-wa"

Nope!! Me neither...

I did
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying it MUST be rinsed, do you think so even if the box says "pre-rinsed, no rinsing required"?
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Take it back, you can thank me later.

Unless, of course, you enjoy the taste of dirt.

Agreed!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've never rinsed it, it's fine. It might depend on the brand you get though. I like mine plain, eat it like rice. I LOVE it with black beans, corn, peppers, garlic and onions.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Recipes? - We bought some at the store because I heard about it, but I dont know what to do with it..

I dont have a tiny strainer, so maybe something I can just cook it in...

Quinoa is great. It cooks up like rice though so you don't have to strain it. You can stuff things with it, or I like it with parmesean and herbs in it. . so good. There are lots of recipes online that incorporate quinoa, or you can use it in place of rice for a great protein burst.

Another idea is cook it up like you would oatmeal and then add some brown sugar and cinnamon. . so good.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love quinoa and love that recipe for potato beef soup!
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying it MUST be rinsed, do you think so even if the box says "pre-rinsed, no rinsing required"?

I don't rinse it and its been fine.

Cook it in orange juice instead of water - tastes great. Also good to add little veggies or seeds or small nuts to it.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I just had quinoa for breakfast, added in some lowfat ricotta cheese, blueberries and chopped walnuts, and vanilla extract, delicious!

And quinoa doesn't taste anything like dirt if you prepare and season it correctly :)
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I never rinse it. You cook it just like you do rice but it cooks way faster ! :) Its lighter than rice and has a lot of protein. It's quite versatile, throw anything on top of it (as you would with rice) and its amazing !! I like mine savory with a little soy sauce and nutritional yeast. :) yum
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just bought a box. My plan is to cook it, let it cool, and then throw a quarter cup into the Blendtec for my morning smoothie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No. I sometimes get the white pre-rinsed but I've not been able to find the red or black pre-rinsed so I rinse those.
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My fave recipe book is Quinoa 365. It is super yum. I grind it in my vitamix to make flour and use it instead of wheat flour :-) And it makes great salads and is a great rice substitute.
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you can use the quinoa as a rice. so cook it as you do rice. you can use it to replace oatmeal. or even make it into a salad. I love it as a salad. put in your favourite veg and dressing let it sit in the fridge for an hour and it is good to go. you have the option to make it sweet or savory.

as for washing it i cook mass quanities eveyday and i have never washed it.
  • kbean33
    kbean33 Posts: 50
    Options
    bump