chicken in the crockpot?

jend114
jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
I have a whole chicken I want to throw in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots. Can I get some suggestions on what else to put in there to flavor it up?

Replies

• MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,014 Member
    Any spices really....a little bit of garlic, bay leaves...my friend made this yesterday and added tarragon...it was pretty good.

As far as veggies...maybe some onion?
  • SLKMERC
    SLKMERC Posts: 70 Member
    Ooh I'd put in lemon zest (maybe a whole lemon pricked, depends on how lemony you want it!), thyme, a few bay leaves, garlic and onions (large wedges), oh and white white. Just a little bit if you can afford the cals!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Check out Skinny Ms. Slow Cooker for some great recipes!!
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Are you looking for lemony, garlicky or honey flavor?
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    I did that last week - it turned out fabulously.
    I just added a couple of onions chopped up, and then sprinkled on a bit of garlic powder and sage.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    One whole onion cut into rings, put on bottom of crock. Add chicken (sprinkled with paprika) and veggies. Cover top of chicken/veggies with 20 or so cloves of garlic, unpeeled. The garlic will roast and give you a sweet flavor to the chicken.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    some chicken broth if you have it or any kind of cream of something soup and then all the spices that people mentioned, it will help keep it moist
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    I add a can of mushroom soup on top ... smothered on the chicken. On bottom of crock, place diced up potatoes, carrots and onion (in rings).... yum!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Here's what I would add:

A little cayenne
    Paprika
    Garlic salt
    Sazon
  • hello im a newbe charlotte ,i found this is wonderful no msg its seasoning mrs,dash table blend ,and the potatoes would be bad mixing with the chicken ,add carrots ,onions other vegetables ,whole grain noodles not a lot , potatoes by themself would be better like a large baked potatoe with some cheese small side salad for dinner or lunch ,starches and meats should not be mixed to gether unless its a small portion,hope im sterring you right charlotte
  • I love thyme with chicken. Tarragon is good too. When it's cooked, I strain out all the big stuff and wisk in a couple of tablespoons of plain greek yogurt with the remaining juice to make a creamy gravy (keeps the gravy lovers in the house happy).
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Rosemary is a great herb to cook chicken with. I usually take Rosemary, Sage, and garlic and throw it in. Tastes delish and then after everything is cooked, I strain the broth, puree the leftover veggies to put in, and make my own homeade stock to freeze for soups later.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    You can put a whole chicken in the crock? I've got two in the freezer. Thanks Jen! I'm going to try this too!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    You can put a whole chicken in the crock? I've got two in the freezer. Thanks Jen! I'm going to try this too!

it comes sooo good