Vitamins + Supplements = CALORIES?? Say it ain

Hi All -

Since I embarked on this life change, I decided to start taking more vitamins. Those include:

- CLA
- Fish Oil
- Evening Primrose oil
- Multi Vitamin
- Chromium Picolinate
- Vitamin B
- PGx
- Milk Thistle

I thought I would try scanning in my vitamins to see what affect they have on my caloric intake. I was shocked, and confused, that they ad 75 calories each time! I take many of these 3x/day! That's 225 extra calories in vitamins per day alone. I think that the oils are the culprit.

So these are good for you. And the fats are good. Should I be counting them as calories? Or no? Will it have an affect on my overall weight loss? Any ideas?

Replies

• wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    I did not know this! I guess that will teach me to not read labels!!!
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    It would be interesting if they added a vitamin / supplement section to the daily food intake. Would make it easier to keep track of in my opinion. I don't normally count them in my intake but I also take things multiple times a day. Then again I usually don't reach my daily intake.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Honestly, all the research I have read on supplements suggests for a normal, healthy person a multi-vitamin once a day is all that is needed. So I would suggest dropping all of this stuff, maybe keeping fish oil and a multi-vitamin.

Vitamins are not regulated by the FDA which makes them very dangerous for people who don't properly look into the possible over-doses and the effects of over-doses on some vitamins and minerals. Some toxicity levels to certain vitamins and minerals are very low and have very bad side effects.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    A lot of people log them, I do not. I only take one multi once a day, though, so I'm not at the caloric intake with them as you are. IMHO I think you should do what works best for you.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    I add my supplements to my food diary anyway. I pay very little regard to them as actual caloric intake, but I do log them.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    I had just posted this on my status earlier.. I was ridiculed in the forum a week or 2 ago for logging my meds but my Ester C and my multi total 40 calories and 10 carbs a day. Its not huge but if I cut it close, I could go over and not know it. If Im sick, I take extra Ester C so that would add another 25 calories and 6 carbs.
  • I don't log my vitamins/supplements because they are good for you, your body needs the nutrients, and it will only benefit your health in the long run. The way I look at it, its kind of like going over your calorie/carb intake because you ate alot of fruits and veggies. The pros outweigh the cons in situations such as this.

I do, however, log my protien shakes when I drink them.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    I'm curious to read people's views on this too. I'd probably count them, but if you're getting the results without counting them, don't bother.
    That's opinion based though.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Oh wow. Im not sure. I never thought about this before. I take some of those on a daily basis too. Good observation.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    I take one, once a day, and it has no calories. I get everything I need. Perhaps you should try the same?
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    do you eat fish on a regular basis (say, 3 times a week)? if so, you can probably omit the fish oil.

also, please check your mutli and your vitamin b for niacin (b3), folic acid (b9), and b6 (forget the name). you can take too much of these, and they can do some damage to your system.

is there any reason you take chromium? jw.

I would add them to your diary because your diary keeps track of some vitamins, calcium, potassium, things like that. if you notice that because of your vitamin you're getting like, 6000% vitamin A a day, you can probably omit that particular vitamin.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    I log my multivite, fish oil and iron daily. I like seeing it assist me with my daily nutrient goals. Minimal calories, but I log with breakfast.
  • Vitamins and minerals are hard to get in whole foods, especially when you are restricting calories - so I would keep those. The Omega-3 fatty acids can be obtained from natural sources like fish which also provide the protein needed. I only take a multi-vitamin and focus on weekly goals for Omega-3s from natural sources. I am heart healthy with good cholesterol without supplements. Good luck!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I log mine. You could create a "meal" and input all of your supplements into that meal. That way it's easy to log them once per day.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    I'm wondering if you need all of these vitamins? It is recommended to not take vitamins unless you're not getting enough of a specific nutrient. Same goes for multivitamins. I would aim to try to get these nutrients from your diet, then you wouldn't have to worry about the extra calories from the capsules.

Best of luck
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    I feel whatever goes in my mouth should be logged as it will have some nutritional content in it, e.g. vitamins, sugar-free chewing gum etc. I've noticed that some people create a separate meal section for vitamins and supplements, but I tend to log my vitamins under my breakfast as that's when I take them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I think everything has some calories, but naturally things like fish oil and other oil based supplements will have some.
    Oil = fat = calories. That's not really all that shocking, is it?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    I wouldn't log it unless you aren't losing any weight.
  • miacycler
    miacycler Posts: 15 Member
    True- in reference to the need for vitamins. But as a mental health therapist I would say PLEASE dont omit the fish oils. It is so good for inflamation, depression, weight loss, arthritis, cancers, wellbeing and digestion!
  • fusiongal
    fusiongal Posts: 23 Member
    I got a lot of questions as to WHY I'm taking all of these. Not taking them is not an option, right now. I don't plan on taking all of it forever (except for the fish oils).

Why do I tak the oils? Obvious reasons (antioxidant, cancers, complexion)
    Why do I tak PGx and Chromium? I have issues with my blood sugar (the PGx I won't take for long, just to help me kick start)
    Vitamin B AND multi vitamin? B because I have an extremely high stress level
    CLA? Because I have excess belly fat and I'm using it to help kick start, as well.

Not really eating a lot of fish, no.

It's interesting to see everyone's opinion. I can tell you, that in the 3 weeks that I have been eating healthy, exercising and taking these vitamins - my complexion has completely changed. My skin is radiant and my cheeks are rosie. Even my blood sugar doesn't crash as often. That is a good thing, if you ask me.

It's just this calorie dance that I have a hard time with!