SHOULD i be eating my exercise calories?

Options
i know that MFP already gives you a deficit and calculates everything based on your goals and what not. but i was wondering if i am SUPPOSED to be eating my exercise calories...or are they just a little extra that you COULD eat if you wanted (and still be able to lose the weight you want per week). lately, i've been trying not to eat my exercise calories and stay around my 1200 allotted calories per day. am i doing it wrong or sabotaging my weight loss?

Replies

• livinwell
    Options
    I have always heard that you should eat your exercise calories. The body needs the extra fuel to run properly.:drinker:
  • cleach29
    Options
    I've heard arguments for both sides of the debate... not sure which is accurate.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Most of what I've read on here indicates you should be eating back your exercise calories. I've been doing that - or at least most of them. I try to still have a little deficit. At any rate, I'm losing weight slowly but surely.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You need to do what is required by your body. If you are losing weight (up to 2 pounds per week) and eating back the calories then continue to do so. I can lose no weight unless I DON't eat back the calories.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking your caloric intake precisely and accurately, and you think the numbers you're using for calories burned are accurate enough---yes, eat them back. Though, the first two qualifiers I mentioned are food for thought.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I look at those extra calories you earn as "optional". I don't believe you have to eat them back, but if you are having a hungry day they are there for you. I usually eat back some of mine. Listen to your body and it will tell you if it needs the extra energy or not.
  • vacation01
    Options
    if I need to use those exercise calories, I do. keeping those extra exercise calaries stops me from being depressed if I go over my regular calories and am having a bad day.
  • DanaeMaria
    Options
    I'm glad someone posted this question because I was thinking the same thing after a Saturday of running around, eating light and burning extra between zumba, gym and a kid's skating party. I ended the day with a huge deficit of calories and was not in the mood to eat them... until Sunday.

I am always ravenous the day after I've worked out, and usually too sore to put in another trip to the gym. I find myself wishing that the previous day's deficit would rollover, because I usually end up eating an extra 100-200 calories the day after a workout.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Eat them your body needs the energy : )