How do I use my heart rate monitor?

Options
NoraEE
NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
So I finally got my heart rate monitor, and I guess I was envisioning some magical device that I could set with my weight and that, at the end of my workout, would tell me exactly how many calories I burned. Turns out it just tracks my heart rate as I'm going, and it's up to me to figure out what that means in terms of calories. Does anyone know how to make sense of this? I bought this thing to get a more accurate sense of how many calories I'm burning, and I'm starting to get the feeling it won't help me with that at all.

Replies

• NoraEE
    Options
    So I finally got my heart rate monitor, and I guess I was envisioning some magical device that I could set with my weight and that, at the end of my workout, would tell me exactly how many calories I burned. Turns out it just tracks my heart rate as I'm going, and it's up to me to figure out what that means in terms of calories. Does anyone know how to make sense of this? I bought this thing to get a more accurate sense of how many calories I'm burning, and I'm starting to get the feeling it won't help me with that at all.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Can you return it?- I got a Polar F4 (its the cheapest of them) it tracks my calories and my heart rate- It also gives me a total of time I spent working out as well as a total of calories burns and also tracks my workouts- I reset my totals everyweek--
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have? I have a Polar F4 also, and I really like it.
  • NoraEE
    Options
    It's an Omron HR-100. I got it because it was $30 and I ready all of these reviews about how it's the best cheap heart rate monitor available, and I guess I just never thought to look into whether it actually had the feature I was buying it for.....
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It's an Omron HR-100. I got it because it was $30 and I ready all of these reviews about how it's the best cheap heart rate monitor available, and I guess I just never thought to look into whether it actually had the feature I was buying it for.....

thats something that you have to look into- You did get a Heart Rate Monitor and if you can't return it you can still wear it to make sure you are working out at a good heart rate for intensity-