Benefits of Protien drinks ?

My trainer suggested me to drink a least a 15g protien shake in the am in place of my breakfast. I have never drank these and wondering if it may be a waste of my $$. I am not much a breakfast eater, which is why he suggested it. But my doc said that I would have to avoid carbs if I started drinking them. Also, of course do not want to gain! I am really confused as to how they will assist me on losing weight. Can anyone easily explain the benefits of drinking protien vs. eating a small breakfast? Thanks!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I don't see why you'd have to avoid carbs.... You might want to ask your doc for a further explanation on that.

The benefits are that they are easy. I don't think I would drink one instead of breakfast on a daily basis, but if you're not eating breakfast at all, a protein shake is WAY better than nothing. I prefer real food when I can get it, but if you are not getting enough protein and you are trying to build muscle, protein shakes are a convenient way to remedy that problem.

I bought a shake mix and it is ok. It is great if I want to work out without getting sore the next day, but it doesn't replace all the protein and real food that I would normally eat. For example, if I want a steak, a protein shake isn't going to cut it. However, if I'm in a huge rush to get out the door in the morning, and I'm hungry, but there is no real food in the house, I'll take a protein shake long before I'd show up to work hungry.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    I've taken to having a protein shake for breakfast almost every work day. I just don't have time to fix myself a healthy breakfast when I'm trying to get 3 kids fed and ready for school, plus make myself look presentable for the office. I don't understand why your doctor said you would need to avoid carbs, though, unless you are going well over your recommended daily allowance of protein??