salads - how do you make them interesting?

Options
I usually have salad for lunch or evening meal and I've managed to make them fairly interesting so far but I'm running out of ideas. Suggestions please???

Replies

• klc31872
    Options
    As well as varying the vegetables, I try to include a variety of extras, such as hummus, flavoured couscous, grilled chicken or pasta salad. It really livens things up!
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Extras and tasty dressings are the best way! Just make sure you are logging everything you put on your salad, because calories can add up FAST, especially dressings, dairy, and meats.

For example, I'm currently eating a salad for lunch that has a small amount of spicy sausage (similar to summer sausage, was part of a gift basket i received), 1 oz feta cheese, half an orange bell pepper, and kraft roasted red pepper italian (my FAVORITE dressing and low cal/fat as far as dressings go!)

A few other options:
    Southwest! Add grilled chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, with salsa or taco sauce as your dressing

Fruit! Add berries, grapes, pineapple, mandarin orange slices, dried cranberries, etc., toss in a small amount of nuts with raspberry vinaigrette or some type of lemon dressing
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Non-typical salad veggies. Try sugar snap peas, edamame or other beans. Grilled eggplant. Marinated mushrooms (do them yourself so you can control the sodium). Add fruit - slice apples, fresh berries, cantaloupe, or even dried fruits (measure those out and chose varieties without added sugar). Nuts or seeds - I love pumpkin seeds and walnuts in my salads.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like to do a 'salad bar' at home type thing.

I'll pre-cut bell peppers, onions, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, & broccoli and defrost some frozen peas and/or edamame. Then I just build to my heart's content.

Also, fancy up your lettuces! Bibb/Butter lettuce is really tasty and 'meaty', and Romaine is good too. I also like to mix spinach in sometimes.

My dressing of choice is simple - drizzle of olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar.
  • aymarie33
    aymarie33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been putting peperoncini and sunflower seeds in my salads. I try to not have a lot of dressing this early on in my lifestyle change, so those give my salad a great flavor.
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ok, I admit I had to look up peperoncini (is it just me?). Thanks for the salad tip and enriching my word power today . :happy:

15934974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lookitslisa
    lookitslisa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love crunchy stuff in my salads like seeds, nuts & croutons. Also by the croutons you can get these wonton strips that are crunchy & lo-cal.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of crispy onions and sliced mushrooms. the mushrooms really make me feel like im eating something almost meaty and the onions make me feel like im eating something that isnt just a salad
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Spinach, feta, strawberries with oil and balsamic is yummy.

I also really like spinach, onions, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, goat cheese and feta with Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing. YUM!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i love putting avocado on mine. it adds a creaminess and then i don't even need a dressing.
    oh how i love you avocado.. oh and if the salad is low-cal, then it makes a fuller heartier salad instead of using a meat.
  • AdkSusie4
    AdkSusie4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love having different textures. Avocado, sunflower seeds, sliced beets, crumbly cheese. The variety gives a nice range of flavors too and makes each bite interesting. I often substitute some lo mein noodles for croutons. They still give you some crunch and are a little sweet.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like to use different cheeses to mix mine up - my favorite is a really strong white cheddar, which makes me use WAY less dressing because it's so flavorful on it's own. 1 oz, of course :) I love avocado, pico de gallo, corn, peppers, onions, etc etc....that's my favorite kind of salad!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My salads just don't taste the same if I don't have my Peppadeaux peppers and goat cheese!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I put lots of veggies like cucumber, tomato, lettuce, bell pepper. I also add boiled egg(for protien) and McCormick salad toppers it has nuts and stuff and one serving is only like 35 cals not too bad for a little extra flavor.
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    BUMP !
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump, need ideas not enough time to log all of the information.. : )
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i add fresh strawberries, croutons, and also i found some oscar mayer bacon bits for 20 cals.

I like crunch and varying textures. Also light string cheese, different light dressings, whatever left over meats i have, etc. I have powdered PB2 peanut butter and i might give that a go. blueberries with the greens are great too!
  • JakeMallory
    Options
    1. Supplement with items from your local farmer's market. As the seasons change you will naturally have different ingredients coming in and out of availability.

2. Have a few dressing options so you don't get bored.

3. Add herbs!

4. Change up the protein - I like sardines
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump... just finishing up a tasty, but typical salad as I type! lol.... grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, lil low fat cheese, light raspberry walnut dressing.. radishes, spinach, cauliflower, mini peppers and 2 olives.....
  • stubbssr
    Options
    I've been making a taco salad a lot lately. It has avocado, chili beans, and crushed Kashi TLC Zesty Salsa pita chips. Sometimes I add a little bit of fat free italian dressing, but since I leave the juice on the beans it really doesn't need the dressing. :)