HRM vs. Every-Other-Calories-Burned-Estimator

Options
So, I know this topic has been posted before, but I am just looking for some reassurance. I got a Polar HRM for Christmas and I've finally busted it out and figured out how to use it. I absolutely love it.. I think.

I'm just a bit hesitant..

Today I hopped on the treadmill and ran/walked for about 50 minutes. The treadmill told me I burnt around 400 calories, but my HRM said 664. I didn't adjust my weight and such on the treadmill, so I know that could account for some of the difference (I weigh 165 though, which isn't so far off the default setting on the treadmills I don't think), but the treadmill did sync with my HRM so it had the same heart rate to go by at all times. Still.. 264 calories is quite a bit of difference. Again, I know many people have had this issue but I still can't help but wonder if the HRM is accurate.

My thinking is.. I was watching the HR reading while I was going through the different intervals and they made a lot of sense. When I was around my max HR (~190-195) my RPE was definitely up around the 17-20 range. This was a bit reassuring.. I should probably just relax and trust the HRM... maybe I have trust issues!! :laugh:

What are y'all's experiences with HRMs? Do they usually seem pretty accurate or do you find yourself questioning the calories you are entering into MFP for exercise? Is this all very silly to worry about and just a part of being a new HRM user? :blushing:

Have a wonderful Monday!

>>>EDIT: OH OH OH!! And is current weight sufficient or do you need to account for body composition? I forget if kcal's are calculated by just lean body mass or all body mass.. UGH..