Get over a bad day...

Options
Hi everyone,

I have only been using MFP for about a week and a half and I LOVE it. I'm not significantly overweight- I'm 5'7" tall and about 150 pounds. I moved in with my boyfriend in August and have slowly but surely gained weight ever since. We're going on a cruise April 25th and I'm just looking to shed those extra 5 to 10 pounds I've put on in the last 6 months or so.

I'm writing because I've had an incredible amount of strength in the last week and a half or so- been exercising well, eating very well (about 1,200 calories a day) and handling it just fine. When I'm determined to do something, I do it 110%! However, tonight, friends we only see a couple times a year were in town. They wanted to go to their favorite restaurant in town- a Hibachi place. So, despite my best laid plans, I ended up going over (by my calculations) by about 1,000 calories and now I feel just SO disappointed in myself since I've been kicking my own a** the last couple weeks and now i feel like I blew it.

Any pointers for how to get over today or recover without feeling like a disappointment? I was so proud too, because I wore jeans that haven't fit in months and a sweater that usually is so tight it's completely unflattering, but they both fit comfortably tonight- I was psyched.

What will make me feel better? I plan on hitting the ground running tomorrow with my usual routine- any words of wisdom?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have only been using MFP for about a week and a half and I LOVE it. I'm not significantly overweight- I'm 5'7" tall and about 150 pounds. I moved in with my boyfriend in August and have slowly but surely gained weight ever since. We're going on a cruise April 25th and I'm just looking to shed those extra 5 to 10 pounds I've put on in the last 6 months or so.

I'm writing because I've had an incredible amount of strength in the last week and a half or so- been exercising well, eating very well (about 1,200 calories a day) and handling it just fine. When I'm determined to do something, I do it 110%! However, tonight, friends we only see a couple times a year were in town. They wanted to go to their favorite restaurant in town- a Hibachi place. So, despite my best laid plans, I ended up going over (by my calculations) by about 1,000 calories and now I feel just SO disappointed in myself since I've been kicking my own a** the last couple weeks and now i feel like I blew it.

Any pointers for how to get over today or recover without feeling like a disappointment? I was so proud too, because I wore jeans that haven't fit in months and a sweater that usually is so tight it's completely unflattering, but they both fit comfortably tonight- I was psyched.

What will make me feel better? I plan on hitting the ground running tomorrow with my usual routine- any words of wisdom?
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Just remember that ONE episode is not the end of the world and your plans to get right back in the saddle are perfect. Remember, you still have to live and when we live, we make mistakes. Drink lots of water in the meantime and get lots of exercise tomorrow and you will be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • rachel512
    rachel512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good news is that it takes 3,500 extra calories to gain a pound so you are far from that! Dont beat yourself up over it! I say you earned it for being so good this week--sweat it out tomorrow and dont worry about it girl!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Drink lots & lots of water - be sure to hit the gym tomorrow & burn extra calories & make sure you stay within your goals for the next few days.
    :happy:
    Life goes on.
    :flowerforyou:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I did the same thing today, and I was upset with myself but there's nothing I can do now, except work harder tomorrow and start fresh.

At least you were out having a good time. I had a horrible day and knew exactly what I was doing when I did it! I went down and bought a diet coke and a snickers dark bar after getting some really bad news, knowing darn well I souldn't. I had been diet coke free for three days!!! It did make me feel better. Then my daughter brought home an extra pizza after a school event, and I ate three slice. I am sick to my stomach now. Two weeks of eating well and you find out how much your body doesn't like the crap you used to eat, lol.

Nobody's perfect, everyone falls off the horse, you just have to get back on. My plan is to add about 20 minutes of working out per day for the next week, and have a long talk with myself about self control, LOL.
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    one time isn't going to hurt you, especially if you exercised that day... just remember, you can get back to your plan the next day and try to forget what you did that was disappointing. once in a while won't hurt you too much as long as you get back in the swing of things right after. if that makes sense.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Boost your water and fiber for a few days, have an extra workout day, and relax. The last thing is most important as stress will be your worst enemy in coming back on schedule .. the other two are only required if you really feel like you need to do something different, hehe. Honestly, just going back on schedule is enough.

Try googling the place beforehand next time to see what you can have without going over. I eat out quite often without going over or going hungry.