An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Options

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am 4"11 and want to be 110 pounds and it wants me to eat 1900 calories, and that is set at doing practically nothing all day....:huh:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am 4"11 and want to be 110 pounds and it wants me to eat 1900 calories, and that is set at doing practically nothing all day....:huh:

Every time I've seen that, there has usually been an overestimation on the levels above rest, and not enough in Rest.
    Rest includes things like TV or movies, not just sleep. Many people get 2 hrs TV in a day, more on weekend.
    You have to remember that 30 min each weekday is not 30 min daily per week.

Because almost 700 calories of activity is NOT doing practically nothing all day. Not for that low a BMR.

Try this assist for doing the daily calc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

For grins and giggles, if you are 30 yr at 110 and 4'11" and you had:

3 hrs cardio a week - Heavy
    3 hrs weight lifting a week - Moderate
    30 min walking dog every day - Light
    8 hrs sleep day - Rest
    2 hrs TV weekdays - Rest
    8 hrs TV/movies weekend - Rest
    4 hrs shopping, cooking, cleaning a week - Light
    desk job and everything else - Very Light

BMR 1265
    Activity 590
    Maintenance 1855

So even with all this activity, and I think that sounds like a great workout routine, not that much.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

For grins and giggles, if you are 30 yr at 110 and 4'11" and you had:
    3 hrs cardio a week - Heavy
    3 hrs weight lifting a week - Moderate
    30 min walking dog every day - Light
    8 hrs sleep day - Rest
    2 hrs TV weekdays - Rest
    8 hrs TV/movies weekend - Rest
    desk job, no time for shopping, cleaning, cooking, ect. - some Very Light, some should be Light really.

BMR 1265
    Activity 559
    Maintenance 1824

So even with all this activity, and I think that sounds like a great workout routine, not that much.

Thank you for the breakdown, this actually makes more sense now and understandable.
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think I'm overthinking it and complicating the whole thing in my mind when I should just do this method and see how it goes.

Unless you are nerdy and just get into this kind of stuff with the numbers and scenarios and options and possibilities, and believe me I am, you should just give it a try.
    You are definitely overthinking something that was intended to have just a bit of homework upfront, and then simplicity thereafter.

Use your normally planned workouts in the schedule. If you have an iffy day that shows up every once in a while, no problem.
    If you drop a run, no problem.
    I recall your calculations showed you'd still be having a deficit of close to 1000 / day just from planned activities, not including normal daily non-exercise activity.

And you can spot check easily what happens in reality. Take that maintenance calorie goal, minus a normal run calorie burn, and you are probably down around BMR. More on some days, less on others. Non-workout days allows a recovery.

Thanks Heybales, yes I am going to start from today! I've set cals at 1800. How did you get that my cal deficit is 1000 per day? I wish it was but not sure how you got that? My exercise cals are probably 2500 per week...... From my figures (which you agreed with) my cals at my goal weight should be 1951 per day but I've set it to 1800 just to be sure I won't be eating too much and also in case I can't run for any reason. What do you think? (If you can be bothered to look at my original post.....!) Thanks!
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    This looks great. Will have to come back to it when my brain isnt so foggy.
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Gonna try this :)
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bumpy for later! Looks interesting
  • TahliS
    Options
    I *think* my brain is running enough for me to have worked this out. If anyone could let me know if I have done this right that would be sssooo appreciated. Its been a hard slog thus far to get my weight to shift.. and I dont mind if it takes months or 5 years.. as long as I can get a consistent loss going, so im really praying this is going to do the trick.

Im 5 7 and goal weight is 70 KG..

BMR would be at this weight 1500
    Activity of 703
    Total of 2203

So I should adjust MFP to 2203 and not worrying about logging exercise (unless I want to keep track of time) ? Sorry to be a PITA.. just want to make sure Ive got the hang of this. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • becjerami
    Options
    I *think* my brain is running enough for me to have worked this out. If anyone could let me know if I have done this right that would be sssooo appreciated. Its been a hard slog thus far to get my weight to shift.. and I dont mind if it takes months or 5 years.. as long as I can get a consistent loss going, so im really praying this is going to do the trick.

Activity of 703
    Total of 2203

So I should adjust MFP to 2203 and not worrying about logging exercise (unless I want to keep track of time) ? Sorry to be a PITA.. just want to make sure Ive got the hang of this. Thanks :flowerforyou:

That sounds correct to me!
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bump will read later
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Activity of 703
    Total of 2203

I agree- what I've been doing is logging exercise but cals burned is just 1 - then in notes I put the calories burned. That way if things aren't working out, I can go back and try to figure out it my BodyMedia fit is off for BMR or for exercise calories.
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Activity of 703
    Total of 2203

I agree- what I've been doing is logging exercise but cals burned is just 1 - then in notes I put the calories burned. That way if things aren't working out, I can go back and try to figure out it my BodyMedia fit is off for BMR or for exercise calories.

I'm doing this too starting today. I too am going to note my exercise cals but also just realised that because I use Nike+ when I run I can just look at my NIke+ account and it tells me how many cals I've burned by run/week/month/year whatever! So I can just check every month or so that I'm actually doing what I've included in my TDEE.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not to throw a curve ball at you, but since you are so close to goal weight, you might benefit from either taking your bodyfat% if you know it and using the same site, but change height to bodyfat% and get more accurate BMR and maintenance calories using the Katch formula.

For getting decent BF%, you can use this site - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

If you don't want to do that, the BMR calc MFP uses is about 5% more accurate within the healthy range, where you are now.
    So you may take MFP's BMR calc and add the activity cal's in for total.

May end up being a meaningless amount less, but figured while you are setting it up and so close already, might as well.

thanks.. i never check my BF% i will check it out tonight and see what it gives me.. i am not too heavy or overweight to begin with, i'm fairly small but it's just that i have gained that 10 ish lbs in the past 2-3 years.. which i want to get rid off, or at least few lbs.. and seems like a lot of the weight go to the belly and hip.. my arms/shoulders are still fairly good shape.

i checked my BF% this weekend and the calories i got ended up to be similar to what i got.. around 1800.. so should i set my cal to 1800 from now and see what happens? that will make me less guilty as i always eat more than what MFP sets me..
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This makes sense...kind fo hard to estimate your daily activity level though when taking rest days into account and such.
    All I know is that eating below my BMR does freak me out.
  • TahliS
    Options
    Thanks lovely people! Upping my cal intake right now. Wishing everyone great eating, exercise and awesome losses xo
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)