Low-Sodium Soup?

Options
Does anyone have a suggestion for a low-sodium soup that I can eat for lunch without using over half of my sodium intake for the day? I ate some Progresso Reduced-Sodium Chicken Noodle Soup today for lunch and there was still over 1,000mg of Sodium!
I know it would be easier to make the soup myself to control sodium, but I really don't have time for that.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Amy's brand are supposed to be really low sodium. I haven't seen this brand at my usual store... but will have to remember this when I go shopping across town.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Check out pacific foods pre-made soups. Their sodium levels seem a little better. In our grocery store they're right by broths & stocks.
    http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/carton-soups

That said, have you ever thought of freezing soups? You can make a big batch on the weekend and then freeze out individual portions for the week. There are plastic freezer jars in sizes good for single portions. That way you could use very low sodium broth and control your ingredients.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The lowest sodium soup I know of is this one:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/vegi-soup-mix.html

You may have to hunt it down depending where you live.

Otherwise, your very best bet if you're trying to lower sodium in soups is to make them yourself. Anything that is canned is going to have a high amount of sodium for preservation.

Take any old veggies from your fridge and put them in a tupperware in your freezer, and when you have a decent amount boil them with some soup bones to make stock. Then add your ingredients and go.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are a few broths that are sodium free, but your going to pay for them. Swanson makes an unsalted cooking stock which is 130 mg of sodium. Here are the numbers and I hope this helps:

Amount Per Serving (serving size) = 1 CUP
    Calories 25
    Fat Calories 0
    Total Fat 0g
    Sat. Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 130mg
    Total Carb. 1g
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 5g

% Daily Values**
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 2%

* The nutrition information contained in this list of Nutrition Facts is based on our current data. However, because the data may change from time to time, this information may not always be identical to the nutritional label information of products on shelf.

** % Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That said, have you ever thought of freezing soups? You can make a big batch on the weekend and then freeze out individual portions for the week. There are plastic freezer jars in sizes good for single portions. That way you could use very low sodium broth and control your ingredients.

This.
    Seriously, soups are so easy to make, especially if you have a Crock Pot. Throw everything in the crock in the morning, it's ready in a few hours. A lot of them also only take 20-40 minutes on the stove, and will feed you for at least a week. You can control exactly how much sodium you take in, and no ingredients you are iffy about. Shoot me a message if you need recipe suggestions!