Break from lifting

Options
I have been lifting hard for a while now and wanted to get some in put. I wanted to take a week off of lifting and just do cardio for 5 days. I figured it will allow my muscles to heal and relax and then when I hit the weights again I would see some more gain. What do you think? Is this something that I should do or will I just burn the muscle I have already built?

Thanks for the input.

Replies

• NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You could probably use the Search button for that. :tongue: :wink:

Oh...and I bought you a box of tissues for Sunday...to dry your tears :flowerforyou:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You could probably use the Search button for that. :tongue: :wink:

Hahahah.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am no expert my friend. However I have had a few male friends who are lifting heavy to build up muscle do exactly that. I will check your list and see if you have any of these guys so you can post on their walls to see how it went for them. Good luck!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Lou Schuler, author of New Rules of Lifting, prescribes a week or 2 every 6-8 weeks. Not only muscles need time to recover. Bones, tendons, ligaments all need to rest and rebuild.

He also is adamant that you shake up your program fairly often as your muscles will get used to certain exercises and won't make any further adaptations.

I highly recommend his book!
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's called strategic deconditioning or a deload which i am infact doing right now. I your gonna do it, don't do any cardio either. Just relax for a week or two and then hit the gym with a vengeance and you will see growth again. I will be taking these strategic deconditioning werks every 3-4 months. Goodluck man
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I just need to get out of my head that I need to work out a lll the time