Simple tomato and cucumber salad made Thai hot!

Options
fatstrat
fatstrat Posts: 216
This is just a chilled salad recipe I threw together from a variety of other recipes I've seen others make in the past. The hot peppers are optional if you have a dainty palate. :tongue:

Ingredients:

2 containers of cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
1 decent sized cucumber, chopped as desired
1 cup chopped green onion
1 tbsp chopped cilantro

1 cup rice vinegar (you can experiment with different kinds of vinegar)
LOTS of hot chili peppers, preferably Thai, minced. Or not. I guess you could alter this to taste. (*sigh*)

2 tbsp citrus-seasoned soy sauce (Mitsukan Ajipon is tasty, or you could substitute regular or lite soy and double the lime juice. Sherry cooking wine is good too.)
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
A few dashes of Maggi seasoning (if you want)
2 heaping tbsp dark brown sugar (you may also use brown or regular sugar)

1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp ground pepper

Directions:
Combine rice vinegar and hot chilis, set aside.

Combine soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce, Maggi, sugar and mix until the sugar is dissolved (as much as possible) and set aside.

Put tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and cilantro in a suitable mixing bowl and toss until well mixed.

In a small sauce pan, brown garlic in sesame oil over medium-high heat. Do not let the garlic burn. When brown, reduce heat and allow oil to cool a bit.

When the oil is cool, pour the rice vinegar mixture into the saucepan and bring to a boil again for five minutes, then add the soy sauce mixture and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.

After the mixture has cooled, pour over Veggies and mix thoroughly. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for two hours or until ready to be served.

Replies

• fatstrat
    Options
    This is just a chilled salad recipe I threw together from a variety of other recipes I've seen others make in the past. The hot peppers are optional if you have a dainty palate. :tongue:

Ingredients:

2 containers of cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
    1 decent sized cucumber, chopped as desired
    1 cup chopped green onion
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro

1 cup rice vinegar (you can experiment with different kinds of vinegar)
    LOTS of hot chili peppers, preferably Thai, minced. Or not. I guess you could alter this to taste. (*sigh*)

2 tbsp citrus-seasoned soy sauce (Mitsukan Ajipon is tasty, or you could substitute regular or lite soy and double the lime juice. Sherry cooking wine is good too.)
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    A few dashes of Maggi seasoning (if you want)
    2 heaping tbsp dark brown sugar (you may also use brown or regular sugar)

1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp ground pepper

Directions:
    Combine rice vinegar and hot chilis, set aside.

Combine soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce, Maggi, sugar and mix until the sugar is dissolved (as much as possible) and set aside.

Put tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and cilantro in a suitable mixing bowl and toss until well mixed.

In a small sauce pan, brown garlic in sesame oil over medium-high heat. Do not let the garlic burn. When brown, reduce heat and allow oil to cool a bit.

When the oil is cool, pour the rice vinegar mixture into the saucepan and bring to a boil again for five minutes, then add the soy sauce mixture and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.

After the mixture has cooled, pour over Veggies and mix thoroughly. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for two hours or until ready to be served.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Looks delicious, I'm bookmarking for later. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    drool.gif

Will you marry me? :love:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • fatstrat
    Options
    drool.gif

Will you marry me? :love:

You would be subjected to my cooking forever!!! Careful what you wish for... :drinker:

:happy:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Tag...looooove Thai hot! I have never seen citrus soy sauce before, do you get it in the regular supermarket or is it a specialty food store thing?
  • fatstrat
    Options
    Tag...looooove Thai hot! I have never seen citrus soy sauce before, do you get it in the regular supermarket or is it a specialty food store thing?

I found that brand in the grocery store, but it was in the special Asian section so it may not be as easy to find.

Kikkoman makes the same thing, they call it "Ponzu" and I've been able to find it locally as well. :)