Questionable diet given to me by my personal trainer...

Options
Hi everyone, recently my PT put me on this diet, bearing in mind I exercise everyday, was just wondering if this is a little too extreme? I don't mind eating that amount, its just its SO bland - even the veg is restricted! Here is a sample of what I have to eat:

DAY 1

Breakfast:

1/2 cup grapefruit,
1 cup cup coffee or tea (no sugar)

Lunch:

2 hard boiled eggs,
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup squash

Dinner:

1 chicken breast (grilled or boiled)
1/2 green beans
1 small apple

DAY 2

Breakfast:

1/2 cup grapefruit,
Lunch:

1/ 2 cup celery,
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes,
1 slice of cantaloupe melon

Dinner:

1/2 cup squash,
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes

DAY 3

Breakfast:

1/2 cup grapefruit,
Lunch:

2 hard boiled eggs,
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup squash

Dinner:

with cooked tomatoes
1 small apple

DAY 4

Breakfast:

1/2 cup grapefruit,

Lunch:

1 cup celery,
1 small apple
1/2 cup squash

Dinner:

1/2 green beans
1/2 cup fresh tomatoes
2 cups prune juice

Just been given it today, but he also said it was part of the 'zigzag' diet in which I adhere to this diet for 4 days with a 3 day rest - but surely this will defeat all of my work put into my diet days? Obviously those 3 days would NOT be bingey at all, I would simply eat wholegrains, more veg, more protein etc thus giving my diet more variety, but is it even good to do that? I gym it everyday and/or go bikram yoga, plus I' not toally sedentary anyway. Any thoughts on this diet, or should I just do what i'm doing now (which is working great).

Replies

• tuftyclub
    tuftyclub Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would pass out on such a restricted diet.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That seems like almost no protein. And almost definitely not enough calories. Lots of fiber though.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't know enough to speak to it with any sort of authority. Indeed I have no expertise in this area, and even if I did I feel like I wouldn't know enough about your training program to make a solid statement. That said, this would not work for me--if for no other reason than I wouldn't do it.

It's so amazingly unimaginative that it boggles the mind. Were I doing it, I think I would prefer it if the trainer just gave me some guidelines, like:

-this many g of fats/carbs/protein,
    -this much fiber

etc.

At least then I could play with it. I know you can do a lot with a chicken breast, but dang. Just my two cents.
  • oharabears
    Options
    I think the answer lies in your last sentence: what you're doing NOW is working great! My grandma used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LOL! I don' t know what state you live in, but here in Ohio, we personal trainers are legally not allowed to give any diet plans to our clients. We can tell them things like, "This is what's been working for me...", but if we give any sort of diet prescription, we can get into big trouble. The diet your trainer gave you is almost NO carb, very low calorie, and BORING...do you really want to live on that for even 4 days?? Not to mention it's probably not going to give you enough or optimum fuel for your workouts. But all that aside, if what you're doing NOW is working, and it gives you the energy you need, and you're happy with the results you're getting...just smile and nod at your trainer's dietary advice and then do your own thing!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Not much food there for someone who is working out.

Make your own rules.

You need more protein and more fat than what's in that diet.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, I really agree and was so sceptical at first having seen it, my diet already has a fairly large deficit and people have commented on the weight I have lost so far - tempted to try this diet for a fortnight or so to see if it does indeed work, or just incorporate some of this diet into my own - but its SO damm boring!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for questioning it. It seems to be lacking in a whole lot of areas. That is an extreme diet for anyone, but for someone who is working out on top of it, I just don't see it as enough, even if you eat more on the 3 off days.
    i would definitely be looking for another trainer. Then again, just half a grapefruit for breakfast, I would seriously harm someone before lunch. I could not survive on that. I am not talking about bland, I am on a pretty plain diet right now.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Make your own rules.

Day 1 provides 450 calories total. TOTAL.
    I could burn that off in a 5k running.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Oh my goodness...I burn about 600-700 calories per workout I do!!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Make your own rules.

Day 1 provides 450 calories total. TOTAL.
    I could burn that off in a 5k running.

Wow, I was wondering that. I knew it was low, but that is super low.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even try that to be honest. It would put me in such a foul mood for being so restrictive. I would fail it after a few days and binge stupidly on anything I could get quickly in my mouth. I would personally recommend just staying on a balanced diet. If you're working out a lot you'll need the carbs to fuel your workout and the protein to rebuild and recover your muscle.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I would question such a tailored and restrictive diet as well. Perhaps ask your trainer instead for guidelines, like someone else mentioned above, and an explanation as to why this particular diet is suited for you. You might find there is a motivation they didn't share with you or perhaps it's a diet they put everyone on... either way, if you're not comfortable or satisfied with it - don't do it!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer!

Not good at all!
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    was just wondering if this is a little too extreme?

Yes
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That diet looks pretty extreme to me, and extreme does not a lifestyle change make.

Is your trainer a certified nutritionist? If not, he/she is in NO POSITION to give you ANY restricted diet. That's number one. If your trainer is a nutritionist, has he/she explained to you in depth why you are eating what you are eating, how it is both healthful and nutritious, and what the end result of such a diet will be? If not, you might want to get your nutrition advice else where.

As a general rule, a trainer's sole responsibility is to help you exercise and get physically fit to the best of your ability and without injury. It is not their job to tell you what to eat.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Are personal trainers required to have a formal education in nutrition? If so, it looks like this trainer flunked that course.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    First I would want to know if your personal trainer has an exceptional physique like less than 8-10% body fat, what are his credentials, does he have a list of clients that have transformed utilizing this diet, if so can you see photos, can you call them. I bet his answer is no!
    Sounds to me like he saw this deit somewhere and is just ripping it off as a one size fits all. Its not eneough macronmutrients to build and sustain lean muscle mass and lose weight at the same time.

TRY THIS!

Breakfast: ½ cup Irish/Scottish oatmeal w/ 2 Stevia or true packs & 1 oz. (walnuts or almonds) & 4 egg whites or ½ cup protein powder. Options: 3 oz. chicken diced w/in 3 egg whites w/ some fresh veggies and for omelet and ½ whole wheat toast, & 1 piece fruit except for bananas – no bananas.

MidAM:
    4 oz. cooked weight protein source (turkey, chicken, or white fish—tilapia, trout, grouper, halibut, mackerel, cod, mahi mahi or Alaskan or coho salmon), 10oz. yam & 1 cup veggies or 5 asparagus spears.

Lunch:
    5 oz. cooked weight protein source as above, 10oz. yam or & 1 cup veggies as above.
    Midday:
    4oz. cooked weight protein source as above, 3 cups spinach leaves and/or romaine lettuce, ½ cup broccoli slaw, 1 oz. white cheese, other veggies if desired, and 2 TBS Whole Foods Balsamic or Emeril’s Romano, Caesars’ or Rosemary Herb dressing.

Dinner:
    4oz. cooked protein source as above, 3 cups veggies w/ some olive oil, & 3 small red potatoes or 10 oz yam
    Permissible Clean Food List:
    Protein
    Poultry: Kroger Perdue Chicken breast (no skin), Perdue or Honeysuckle White turkey breast, turkey cutlets, & ground turkey 2% fat or better.

Fish: 6 oz. Salmon-canned or fresh (limit 3-4 times/week), cod, flounder orange roughy, tilapia, red snapper, perch, scallops, shrimp, & whitefish.
    Carbs
    Complex Starchy Carbs:
    Oatmeal, cream of brown rice, yams & beans (white, black, drained kidney, etc.) .
    Fibrous Vegetables: all you want anytime you want - green beans, broccoli, kale, spinach
    1 HOUR BEFORE BED SNACK: PROTEIN SHAKE – 20 GRAMS
    OR ½ cup COTTAGE CHEESE
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist but at a glance that looks like barely enough energy intake to sustain your BMR, let alone add on daily activity and workout cals.

Get a new PT.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    First I would want to know if your personal trainer has an exceptional physique like less than 8-10% body fat, what are his credentials, does he have a list of clients that have transformed utilizing this diet, if so can you see photos, can you call them. I bet his answer is no!
    Sounds to me like he saw this deit somewhere and is just ripping it off as a one size fits all. Its not eneough macronmutrients to build and sustain lean muscle mass and lose weight at the same time.

TRY THIS!

Breakfast: ½ cup Irish/Scottish oatmeal w/ 2 Stevia or true packs & 1 oz. (walnuts or almonds) & 4 egg whites or ½ cup protein powder. Options: 3 oz. chicken diced w/in 3 egg whites w/ some fresh veggies and for omelet and ½ whole wheat toast, & 1 piece fruit except for bananas – no bananas.

MidAM:
    4 oz. cooked weight protein source (turkey, chicken, or white fish—tilapia, trout, grouper, halibut, mackerel, cod, mahi mahi or Alaskan or coho salmon), 10oz. yam & 1 cup veggies or 5 asparagus spears.

Lunch:
    5 oz. cooked weight protein source as above, 10oz. yam or & 1 cup veggies as above.
    Midday:
    4oz. cooked weight protein source as above, 3 cups spinach leaves and/or romaine lettuce, ½ cup broccoli slaw, 1 oz. white cheese, other veggies if desired, and 2 TBS Whole Foods Balsamic or Emeril’s Romano, Caesars’ or Rosemary Herb dressing.

Dinner:
    4oz. cooked protein source as above, 3 cups veggies w/ some olive oil, & 3 small red potatoes or 10 oz yam
    Permissible Clean Food List:
    Protein
    Poultry: Kroger Perdue Chicken breast (no skin), Perdue or Honeysuckle White turkey breast, turkey cutlets, & ground turkey 2% fat or better.

Fish: 6 oz. Salmon-canned or fresh (limit 3-4 times/week), cod, flounder orange roughy, tilapia, red snapper, perch, scallops, shrimp, & whitefish.
    Carbs
    Complex Starchy Carbs:
    Oatmeal, cream of brown rice, yams & beans (white, black, drained kidney, etc.) .
    Fibrous Vegetables: all you want anytime you want - green beans, broccoli, kale, spinach
    1 HOUR BEFORE BED SNACK: PROTEIN SHAKE – 20 GRAMS
    OR ½ cup COTTAGE CHEESE

THIS IS AMAZING THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thisis pretty much what I eat already and I've lost and gained lean muscle within the span of a month already! Looking at my PT's diet just made me feel guilty for what I do now - i.e. eat grains etc, he said I should try to avoid things like brown rice and stuff which is a bit odd considering I train a lot - sometimes twice a day!

Thankyou so much everyone, I think I will definitely stick to my diet...it is, after all, working!! I think I would be so miserable living off boiled eggs lol. And prune juice. What a fun diet! :P
  • There's not alot of variety in the meal plans - and variety is suprisingly important when maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It might be good if you want to lose weight FAST, but not good if you want to keep it off in the long run.

And in my opinion, if your PT is telling you this is a great diet.. you might want to consider getting a new PT because he'she doesn't really know what they're talking about.