Am I on track or should I up my calorie intake?

Options
I have lost 44lbs since September sticking to around net 1200 calories a day.

Things seem to be going well and I am exercising around 200 minutes or more a week - losing 1-2lbs a week.

But I keep reading about the starvation response and I am concerned if I should now up my calory intake. There are some signs that I am beginning to hit a plateau.

What I am not clear about is how exercise calories should be dealt with and how that reflects on the possible starvation response. If I eat 1700 calories but exercise 500 so my net intake is 1200 is that the same as just eating 1200 with no exercise? I would have thought not - surely the exercise has a larger positive impact - but would it 'educate' your body more to resist the starvation response?

I have made my diary public - I would appreciate it if there are any nutritionists/exercise guru's out there who could take a peak and let me know if I should adjust things. I consider myself to be 50% through my weight loss programme, but I want to make sure I don't plateau and that when I am down to a normal weight I can maintain it.

Cheers

Ian

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have lost 44lbs since September sticking to around net 1200 calories a day.

Things seem to be going well and I am exercising around 200 minutes or more a week - losing 1-2lbs a week.

But I keep reading about the starvation response and I am concerned if I should now up my calory intake. There are some signs that I am beginning to hit a plateau.

What I am not clear about is how exercise calories should be dealt with and how that reflects on the possible starvation response. If I eat 1700 calories but exercise 500 so my net intake is 1200 is that the same as just eating 1200 with no exercise? I would have thought not - surely the exercise has a larger positive impact - but would it 'educate' your body more to resist the starvation response?

I have made my diary public - I would appreciate it if there are any nutritionists/exercise guru's out there who could take a peak and let me know if I should adjust things. I consider myself to be 50% through my weight loss programme, but I want to make sure I don't plateau and that when I am down to a normal weight I can maintain it.

Cheers

Ian

You have done well so far and are losing weight, why try to fix something that is not broken?

If it is working, which it is doing, stick with it.