What kind of dentist...

Options
My boyfriend just had one of his teeth pulled at the dentist. The dentist gave him a brochure on care after the procedure. Check out what it says about diet:
"Immediately following the procedure, it is important that you drink plenty of fluids. Water, pop, and juices are good choices. Soft, nutritious foods such as ice cream, pudding, and jello should be eaten around meal time. If swallowing is difficult, meals may have to be eaten 5-6 times daily in small portions."

So, the dentist is actually recommending he drinks soda? Soda that got his teeth like that in the first place? Soda that gives him horrible tooth pain when he drinks it? And I like how it says 'soft, nutritious food' then goes on to name foods that contain no healthy nutrients...I mean what about smoothies and soup?

LOL What kind of dentist is that? As any kind of health practitioner, I think he owes his patients more than that!

Just random thoughts...

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    My boyfriend just had one of his teeth pulled at the dentist. The dentist gave him a brochure on care after the procedure. Check out what it says about diet:
    "Immediately following the procedure, it is important that you drink plenty of fluids. Water, pop, and juices are good choices. Soft, nutritious foods such as ice cream, pudding, and jello should be eaten around meal time. If swallowing is difficult, meals may have to be eaten 5-6 times daily in small portions."

So, the dentist is actually recommending he drinks soda? Soda that got his teeth like that in the first place? Soda that gives him horrible tooth pain when he drinks it? And I like how it says 'soft, nutritious food' then goes on to name foods that contain no healthy nutrients...I mean what about smoothies and soup?

LOL What kind of dentist is that? As any kind of health practitioner, I think he owes his patients more than that!

Just random thoughts...
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    wow your right. that is pretty off. not that it doesn't sound good, but i wouldn't wanna drink soda that got my teeth like that. not to mention its pretty unhealthy. id deff. go with the soup idea, even the 60 cal. pack of jello pudding isn't bad. and it taste great too
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    my dentist told me NO soda..............absolutely NONE..............he said the fizzy stuff would/could pop the stitches and the sugar may prevent clotting.

Now that was MY experience.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a smart dentist!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a dentist hoping for repeat business.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Very odd....

I wonder who created the brochure for them! :laugh:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Sounds like a dentist hoping for repeat business.

LOL... job insurance :huh:

But really? My dentist yelled at me when I told him I occasionally (once a week) drink a can of mountain dew. He then proceeded to explain how the massive amounts (12 teaspoons!!!) of sugar in one can will cause massive amounts of decay. Then he showed me pictures. :noway: Needless to say I don't drink it anymore LOL.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Just random thoughts...

Weird, my boyfriend JUST got a tooth pulled the other day too! Him and his bad teeth....I'm kind of crazy about my teeth and brush them for like forever each day so his lack of care for his teeth drive me nuts.

I remember seeing the diet list with the ice cream, jello and pudding (which I had to stop and get him all of that that day) but I don't think his dentist recommended pop. That's crazy!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    After having a tooth extracted it can be difficult to eat and because of this he might be hungry - or need to eat more calories. The brochure is telling him to eat things that are "easy to eat" and high in calories so that he is getting some sustinance. The dentist is not recommending that he drink soda all the time - or that he eat ice cream all the time - just that after having the tooth pulled (for the couple of days it takes to heal) he may need to drink/eat some things that otherwise he might not.

Does that make any sense?

For the record... having had a tooth extracted... and NOT eating enough - the LAST thing you want to do is not eat and then get the dry heaves. It HURTS!

ETA: I think by "soft nutritious food" they actually mean "soft calorie rich food"
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    While I find the verbiage of the brochure odd, I work in the dental insurance industry (no I don't sell it but I work with the docs to ensure they know how to administer our plans and I grow the network) and I find even more odd that there was no mention (okay, most docs I have don't provide a brochure, they give instructions to the patient thereafter) of not smoking or drinking. But I also don't think like many others here that drinking soda (pop) is the only reason a person has unhealthy teeth. Obviously that doesn't help, but with that said, much like our diets, it's a combo of things..........the obvious brushing (we can give that most folks do this), flossing (now you're going to about half of folks), seeing a dentist once a year for a check up and a cleaning from a hygienist every six months or if their teeth are in a bad situation, periodontist and re-construction as a last resort.

I totally agree that this is a weird brochure you guys were given, did he mention if the dentist gave him any personal instructions or just gave this brochure? Just curious.....thanks and please know that I was in no way preaching above I just get aggrivated when I read here sometimes opinions that aren't realistic.............again my opinion,
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you're not supposed to have hot foods after something like that so I wouldn't expect to see soup listed. I think maybe it's trying to say eat soft, COLD foods. As for pop, I think it's better than nothing and it is all some people drink. It's poorly worded for sure but.... what can ya do.

ps- don't give him hot soup!