NROLFW - Now or Later?

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
Hear me out....I ordered this book ("New Rules of Lifting for Women"). I read through, I get the concepts and I like the general idea. But....

I wonder if I should wait to start this when I am closer to goal. I have over 100 lbs I still want to lose before being at some elusive goal. It just seems that this book is driven more at muscle building than fat loss, which DUH, just read the title.

I guess I want to hear from real women who have done this program who had a significant amount of weight to lose. Did it work? Should I wait and focus more on fat loss right now? I know that lifting along with cardio is the way to go, but a complete shift over to this program now or later?

I'm so confused.....

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    NOW

the more muscle mass you build - or at least preserve - the higher your metabolism will be, the faster you'll burn fat and the more you'll be able to eat.

It's a real mistake not to do weights from the very beginning!!!

DO. IT. NOW.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    NOW

the more muscle mass you build - or at least preserve - the higher your metabolism will be, the faster you'll burn fat and the more you'll be able to eat.

DO. IT. NOW.
    ^this x23940823
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not a one way ticket, you've nothing to lose.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    NOW

DO. IT. NOW.

Exactly!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Now! GO find the group. There are several women who are far from their goals that have already started.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    NOW

DO. IT. NOW.

Completely agree. NOW.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    NOW!! :D

I don't have as much to lose, but in this last 2 weeks since starting the program I've lost 2kg, around 4.4lbs! And I've done barely any cardio, boosted my food intake, eaten lots of protein and lifted heavy things. Start now, you have nothing to lose!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm still 40ish pounds from goal and started last week! Do it now!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I just started this week...it's awesome!!!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Now Now Now! It's a great program!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think my fear is that the methods talked about in the book are so very different than what I am used to doing for fat loss. Obviously it is pounded into my head that to lose pounds you have to cut calories. It's difficult for me to wrap my head around "eat to lose". Well, eat to gain muscle, which will help with fat loss. Sounds logical, I'm usually logical, but this time I'm struggling.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    NOW

DO. IT. NOW.

This is what I have heard and read... based on my experience...... I had 80 lbs to lose. I have lost 40. Mid-Dec to until last week - i couldn't fit weights in and I stop losing.... I had lost 40 lbs..... now its moving again..... I added weights, changed my cardio, and changed my food a bit, but I really think its the weights.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Start now :)

The programme is awesome, you can modify it to suit what you can and can't do

Eat and lift to preserve muscle

My entire body has been reshaped by picking up heavy things, I only wish I'd known about this in the beginning!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think my fear is that the methods talked about in the book are so very different than what I am used to doing for fat loss. Obviously it is pounded into my head that to lose pounds you have to cut calories. It's difficult for me to wrap my head around "eat to lose". Well, eat to gain muscle, which will help with fat loss. Sounds logical, I'm usually logical, but this time I'm struggling.

Grasping the concept, mentally, is hands down the hardest part. But better you start now, than go through a year or so of cardio mania, eating next to nothing, only to hit a plateau and have completely messed up your metabolism.

Concentrate on the big picture. Start now ;)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Do it now. Your body composition will be so much better than if you didn't--you won't be "skinny-fat". You will preserve the muscle that you have, and when you lose the fat covering the muscle you will look SO much better than if you just lost weight without lifting. I wish I would've started much sooner.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have 40lbs to go and was curious about this as well.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm 50+ from healthy weight, and I'm totally lifting hard. It feels SO GOOD to feel stronger every day.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

If you are eating in a deficit for fat loss, you will not gain very much muscle at all, what this routine will do however for you, is help you RETAIN the muscle you already have, make some small newbie weight lifting strength gains/muscle shape/density, but not enough to send you the other way on the scale your fearing. It will not create a bulky look, in fact when you do reach your lower weight goal, you'll be happier with the results because you'll have more tone = no skinny fat syndrome. :D Good luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    bump