MORE VEGGIES! How can I get more?

Options

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you.. green smoothies! Look at the link I posted earlier & add those greens to a shake. You will NOT taste them! I promise! :flowerforyou: You can add all kinds of things you don't like and you wont taste it!

Yes! I saw that and I am going to look into it :smile: Thanks
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just watch your sodium intake if you do frozen veggies. Many of them are super high... especially those "just for one" veggies.
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is keep a bag of chopped greens in the freezer. When I make a vegetable soup I add a cup or two of the chopped greens towards the end. It gives the soup a little more nutritional bump. They are cut so small you don't even taste them.

I also make fresh greens (you can get them pre washed and cut) with sausage. I boil the sausage, remove it and set aside. In the sausage water I add onion, garlic, celery, and chicken soup baseto flavor. Then I add the greens and cook them til tender but not mushy. I cut up the sausage and add it back to the pot of greens. Then I add some Louisiana hot sauce or some other vinegar based sauce. It is very good.

I was not very much of a greens eater but I was determined to find a way to eat and like them. This is it. My daughter hardly touches anything really green but she will eat these. I gave the recipe to a friend and her family raved about them as well.
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One more thing. I also take a Fruit and Veggie Complex tablet by Watkins. I eat a lot of veggies, but I just don't think you can get too many veggies.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do not like most veggies, lucky to eat 1-2 servings a week. Green smoothies are actually the way to go.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bumping...need this info for later. love what i've read so far
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    An easy way is to make a spinach smoothie. Add your usual smoothie ingredients (milk or milk-like fluid of your choice, yogurt, protein powder, whatever), then 1.5 to 2 c. raw spinach, and at least 1/2 a banana to cut the spinach taste. This is great with the addition of other fruits, especially berries, too. The resulting shake is a festive green color, but the banana cancels out the spinach taste.

Yes these are SO yummy and spinach is so good for you :)

13957828.png
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I sneak veggies in on my kids in weird ways.... when I cook taco's I put chopped squash in the meat, you never taste it. I add shredded zucchni to pasta dishes, just cut it long like noodles, I puree cauliflower with laughing cow cheese to make cheesy "potatoes", I mix broccoli and cheese with whole wheat rotini for mac'n cheese, I use butternut squash in recipes that use sweet potatoes and I add spaghetti squash to a lot of pasta dishes too. You can't taste spinach in smoothies; celery/carrots will bulk up soup recipes and you can cover ANYTHING with cheese and make it yummy ;)

Great ideas!
    13957828.png
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    An easy way is to make a spinach smoothie. Add your usual smoothie ingredients (milk or milk-like fluid of your choice, yogurt, protein powder, whatever), then 1.5 to 2 c. raw spinach, and at least 1/2 a banana to cut the spinach taste. This is great with the addition of other fruits, especially berries, too. The resulting shake is a festive green color, but the banana cancels out the spinach taste.

I do this. i can't face solid food first thing in the morning - so I make a breakfast smoothie with milk, two tablespoons yoghurt, half a frozen banana, 5 frozen strawberries and a cup of spinach. can't even taste the spinach.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't snort them. That's a bad way to get more veggies.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    didn't read all the replies but...

make soup with tons of diff veg... then puree it ... amazingly great way to add veg to things like pasta sauce as well, puree them in the sauce, like hiding them for kids *S*
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    one thing in your salads you can include spinach, cut up cucumbers, shreded carots and brocaly

also boiled carrots are delish, I love to hide veggies in things, like peas and corn in mash potato's, or bracoly, peas and cooked carrots in spicaty and celery with penute butter
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    add kale or spinach to things that you usually make, like in pasta sauces. I also add peas to pretty much any casserole I make, they add a nice sweetness to things. Soups are a great way to load up on veggies.

Add flavor and spices, steamed or raw get soooo boring.

Morning omelet with sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, and greens, stuffed peppers with rice cauliflower instead of rice, roasted root veggies with butter, salt and pepper, I could keep going all day.

Also, chop up a ton of veggies at the beginning of the week and keep them in your fridge. You will be so much more likely to eat them if they are handy and already prepared. Dip them in hummus or guacamole.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    invest in a juicer or a blender. My gums swell eating raw fruits/veggies so I mix together some and make a nice juice smoothie. I particularly like carrots, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries together.

Oooh and try Naked juices.
  • dr4m4qu33n
    Options
    Check out this website, she has a lot of great ideas!! http://www.thesneakychef.com/
    Try adding veggies to things like grains, or casseroles, or stuffed chicken. Also, v8 makes juice/veggie blends.
    Vegetables are wonderful!!!! Full of great vitamins, minerals, and other good stuff. Give more veggies a chance.
    Also, I highly recommend zucchini fries! Cut Zucchini into sticks, dip in eggs or egg whites, then breadcrumbs or panko or even some cracker crumbs. Then bake until crispy! Sooooo good!!!!
    Also, zucchini muffins are really good, and they dont really taste like squash, esp if you mix in a few chocolate chips.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Stirfrys with what ever veggies you like! I use water to steam the veggies add just a bit of soy, hoisin, and or oyster sauce! NO rules, just tons of flavor, fiber, and nutrition!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    *bump* for later reading. Great ideas!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you.. green smoothies! Look at the link I posted earlier & add those greens to a shake. You will NOT taste them! I promise! :flowerforyou: You can add all kinds of things you don't like and you wont taste it!
    My fave for bkf is 3 oz spinach, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, whatever sweetener you use, 1 cup of frozen berries, half a cup of milk or soymilk, and half of a banana with 1 tbsp of ground flax seed! put it all in a high powered blender and let it rip! I actually get depressed when I run out!! Tastes like chocolate banana! = D I also love my salad smoothies that taste like guacamole! Just chop up a whole head of romaine heart, and add half of an avocado, some onion, cucumber, celery and a bit of broth, milk, or soy milk and blenderize it to a smooth consistency and it is like guacamole in a glass! A really big glass! Not too many calories either and tons of nutrition! = D Love the green drinks!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Sorry... didnt see that people already posted about smoothies, but here is my favorite:

1.5 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup fresh leaf spinach
    1 tsp natural peanut butter
    1 scoop protein powder and/or 1 package Weight Watchers French Vanilla or Chocolate smoothie mix

YUMMMMMMY!

This is my breakfast every morning and it is VERY filling. Over 30 grams of Protein to get my day going!
  • alegrria72
    Options
    If your city has farmers markets you should check them out! Seeing the fresh veggies always inspires me to try things I wouldn't normally have considered. I recently took a liking to kale which is fantastic sauteed with olive oil and garlic. Even my picky sister likes it. Another always awesome veggie that can taste like a treat are roasted red peppers. Just cut them in half add a spritz of evoo and a sprinkle of salt and bake them at 350 till they get nice and soft. yum! Good luck!