i have a big question! i could use some input please :)

Options
I was curious, i was born with a minimal trace of a thyroid gland and am on thyroid medication ever since i was a baby. I was wondering if having this problem and being on medication will effect my trying to get rid of some of my weight?

Replies

• briannalynne
    Options
    I was curious, i was born with a minimal trace of a thyroid gland and am on thyroid medication ever since i was a baby. I was wondering if having this problem and being on medication will effect my trying to get rid of some of my weight?
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Are you hypo or hyper? What is your med? I am hyper and take PTU.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    The answer is yes and no. If your ALL thyroid levels are normal then you are normal and you can gain and lose weight normally. Its when the levels are off is when you have trouble either way. I have Graves disease which makes me have too much thyroid hormones, so I take meds to keep mine level until this summer, in which i will have the radio-active iodine on my thyroid to kill it. Then i will be on synthroid for the rest of my life.
  • briannalynne
    Options
    i have Hypothyroidism. i take Levothyroxine.
  • briannalynne
    Options
    Ahh, thank you! :) Awww. :heart: My dad kinda explained it to me 5minutes ago as well. He explained how I have to watch what i eat because my body would add it on to what the medication does and give me some extra pounds where people who eat SOOO much and don't gain like anything.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Common listed side effects for Levothyroxine are appetite and weight changes.
  • briannalynne
    Options
    thought so, my appetite is never normal these days. -_-
  • debro430
    debro430 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hope my first post on these boards isn't too controversial. Talk to your doctor about bone health. The discussion goes both ways as to the effects of thyroid replacement hormones and osteoporosis. I had my thyroid removed due to cancer, have taken synthroid for 2 1/2 years and I also have osteoporosis. I don't know if it's just a coincidence. I take calcium supplements and track my calcium in my food diary. It's important for ALL women, not just those on replacements. Take care, Debbie