Tips for road warriors

Options
I travel a lot for business, which is very challenging for someone trying to lose weight. I don't get to pick the hotels I stay at and often don't have local transportation, and I often have to eat with clients as part of meetings at least once or twice a day, which means the controls I have over my diet at home are out the window when I hit the road. Also, my out-of-town agendas can translate into 12-15 hour workdays, so I'm usually far too exhausted to make time for a hotel workout room.

I've learned a few things that help me be more successful at dieting and exercise while on business trips. I would welcome any additional tips from other road warriors!

1. Request a room on the 4th or 5th floor of the hotel, and when not dragging a wheeled bag (e.g. anytime you come/go other than check-in/check-out) use the stairs, not the elevator.

2. Unless you're dining at some nouvelle cuisine establishment, chances are the portion size will be enough for at least four people. Only eat 1/4 of what's served to you. When ordering, think about how you're going to journal it, and how you'll figure out how much you're eating. You can't exactly bring a food scale with you. Unless you're one of those folks who can judge ounces or grams just by looking at food, assume that you should probably eat a little less than your "guesstimate"!

3. You will eat and drink less if you talk more. And you're a more attractive listener if you're not chewing the entire time you're listening. Taking time to pause and really look at someone when they're talking also helps you remember what they're saying. Often times, during a business dinner, although the conversation may not be strictly about business, you learn a LOT that will help in future business interaction, so the focus pays off not only in fewer calories, but in greater success.

4. Make a choice before you get started eating: alcohol or dessert; not both.

5. If you're drinking wine, note that in some restaurants and/or with some drinking companions, they're extra-attentive to glass levels and will refill your glass the second the level goes down. Keep an eye on your glass so you know exactly how much you're actually imbibing; put your hand over your glass or hold onto your glass to prevent it from being refilled without your knowledge or say-so. Also, to help keep your head on straight, drink 2-3 times as much water as wine while you're dining. In most cases, 1 glass of wine and 3 glasses of water will get you through any meal without too much damage to your diet!

What are YOUR tips?