To the people that have lost over 40lbs...

Options
BADGIRLstl
BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
Are you still (mentally) stuck in your fat body? The scale tell you that you have lost weight, your pant sizes are smaller, but when you look in the mirror, you see that same old fat/big/large person? I've only lost 25 lbs, and if it wasn't for the pictures I WOULDN'T BELIEVE THAT I LOST WEIGHT. Sometimes it seems like it takes the mind a moment to catch up to the actual weight loss/prgress.

I want to know if you struggle with this same issue.

Replies

• hazedot
    hazedot Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Honestly? For me yes. I do still feel like the size 20 girl I was when I started, even though I'm now a 14/16. Even standing on the scales and seeing myself at nearly 200lbs I still feel fat. I don't know when I won't feel like that anymore.
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I sometimes look at my smaller pants (size 5/6 from a 14) and think there is no way I can fit into those. I still find myself holding my breath when putting them on! Then they fit and I think wow! I really have lost weight. I just wish I saw what other people saw.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Girl yes I struggle with this constantly, some days are better then others. They say were our own worse critics hopefully it won't be like this forever, and I am able to see what others see.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been big since I was a kid and now I cannot really see myself as the size I am. Really trying hard to get past this right now.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 42 so far and still act like Im the almost 300lb body I was before I joined MFP. Knowing Im not is just weird to me, even though Im fitting in my pants I wore before I got married so I KNOW Im less but I still feel that way... I wonder how I feel at goal when Ive lost 150lb.
  • hrcowman
    hrcowman Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel exactly the same. I have lost a little over 30lbs and I have dropped from a size 17 to a size 13. But when I shop for clothes I still go for the bigger sizes even though know I'm smaller. I feel great when I fit into those lower pant sizes, but it's so hard for me to remember I'm not as big as I was.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Yes...Its been more then a year. Ive been at this body size for more then a year. I still see that sometimes, not always
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Not to me.. Ever since I've dropped the weight I've felt tons better about myself, but not only that I can feel healthier as well. I got way more energy than I used to, I don't have nearly as much trouble getting up in the morning as I used to, I rarely catch the cold now and if I do it's not nearly as painful or an annoyance. But as far as mentally, I don't feel big anymore.
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    yes I still see the same person in the mirror and in my head.
    I know that I am different
    the clothes are smaller
    and I have more energy

I know it is all in my head and have to learn to re-think how I see myself
    but yes I still see the same round stomach and all.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    For me it's definitely a hard thing to wrap my head around. Taking compliments isn't easy either. Sometimes I just don't know what to say when someone comments on my weight loss and how good I look, I'm not used to compliments. Hoping to move past this part of the weight loss soon. :)
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes - I have a shock each time I see myself unexpectedly. It's strange because before I lost the weight, I always had a mental image of being smaller than I was, and now its's the opposite. Not sure what it will be like once I'm at goal.... Looking forward to trying it out though!
  • Chanels_mom
    Chanels_mom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As of today I have lost 28lbs ( I weigh myself daily, i know i know). It is so frustrating because I am really giving my all into this FINALLY, and I can't see any changes in me whatsoever. Other than my clothes fitting loose. I know that is an indication that I'm doing something right, but it's really upsetting to know I got myself into this predicament and now I have to lose over 60lbs in order to notice a difference. It's really depressing and I just have to keep telling myself it's because I am a really big (hate that word) girl. I don't plan on giving up, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very hard being pregnant and having gained some. But even after losing 135lbs. I still felt like I looked over 300lbs.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Are you still (mentally) stuck in your fat body? The scale tell you that you have lost weight, your pant sizes are smaller, but when you look in the mirror, you see that same old fat/big/large person? I've only lost 25 lbs, and if it wasn't for the pictures I WOULDN'T BELIEVE THAT I LOST WEIGHT. Sometimes it seems like it takes the mind a moment to catch up to the actual weight loss/prgress.

I want to know if you struggle with this same issue.

I've lost 30 so far and I struggle with it, if i get discouraged or think oh i havent lost anything or whatnot i take out an old pic and look at a new one and see the differences :)
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have those moments for sure,i have to look in the mirror alot to see the difference,pics do show alot,so its always a good thing to take befores,so thank goodness for that,but im hoping until my bottom belly is gone then I will finally feel satisfied!!
  • Brooks088
    Options
    I just was thinking about this for the first time this week. I still have 60 pounds to go but I still see/feel myself as the same. I wonder if I will ever be happy with the progress I have made/how I look in the mirror. I know 43 pounds lost is alot of weight...just hard to see myself still so overweight and think I have lost that much. I thankfully kept a really good journal from when I began...how difficult things were getting to do (tying your shoes for example)...life is better but its taking a while!
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Yes. Total I have lost 110lbs. most of it before MFP.

I struggle with this so much. I have been buying the wrong size of jeans because I can't honestly believe that I can wear a size 6 in jeans. I have been buying a 10 because I can't fathom leaving the double digits.

I take measurements and I have for the last 3 years, I can see that the inches have left but I can't believe. I even see that I have muscles (I lift) and I still feel like I am a squishy blob.

I thought it was just me. It got so bad that my husband started to complain because I was wearing baggy clothing that looked sloppy and was basically falling off my butt.
    I am forcing myself to try on the smaller size, the tighter shirt. But it is hard to look at myself and see the clothing and say, "I look good"

On a side note. I can't say I look good, but I can tell the whole world about my fitness level. I ask everyone, "wanna see me bust out some push ups?".......... priorities. :bigsmile:
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Omgosh yes. I have lost 42 lbs total and I still feel big, insecure and awkward. But I constantly look back at pictures or try on clothes that I used to wear that were tight and now are way too big. I think it is going to take awhile to realize that I am 42 pounds lighter!!! I still have at least 20 to go, but I am less than five pounds away from being at the high end of my "healthy weight range". I still feel huge. So crazy!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Having a bunch of before and after pictures helps me. I also was doing yoga for a long time before I lost the weight -- the fact that I am able to get into certain poses I wasn't able to before also reminds me of the huge difference.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    In the mirror, i see what i look like but in my head i am still fat. When i try on clothes i get annoyed that they don't seem to hang quite right, and my friend had to point out that they did in fact hang, they were all too big. She said 'for crying out loud, get the hell out of the plus size section!'
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!