Moms; how do you find time to work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate the Local Y has a child center. So for 1.5 i can leave the kids to play, make crafts, read and to be read to while I work out.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 5 kids - I work outside the home about 10-12 hours a week, so I'm pretty much a SAHM. I do my workouts with my kids around, I put the DVD in and just make do with whatever interruptions they bring. (And it's the toddler interrupting, of course. The older ones get what's going on and are able to entertain and fend for themselves more for the 30-60 minutes. There are many things that get MUCH easier as they get older! I don't think I could even dream of doing an hour long workout if I didn't have the bigger ones to play with the little one.)

Things that are helpful: Moms Into Fitness makes a DVD that breaks the workouts into 10 minute blocks, because time to work out is a huge issue for most moms. They also have modifications for postpartum and for things like SUI (which many moms experience when doing jumping jacks!)

Doing workouts with your baby - if you can get some kind of carrier (like a wrap or an Ergo) to put your baby on your back while you do some brisk walking, or a low-impact cardio DVD (Leslie Sansone's walking workouts are perfect for a mom with a toddler on her back, and that extra 20 lbs or so adds intensity. :wink:

Trading off workouts with your SO, if you have one, is a big help, or just have them play with your toddler for an hour or so four evenings a week so you can get in a workout - good for you, good for baby, good for them.

Getting together with a friend or friends to work out - meeting my friends a the local hs track to run during the summer, while our kids played in the middle of the circle, was a big motivator and very helpful. The bigger kids kept an eye on the little kids, and mama was always within sight/earshot. Other arrangements are also possible - if you're all at a playground together, maybe two moms go for a run around the field while another couple moms stay by the swings and watch the children. Or playdates at houses, that involve some kind of exercise while the kids play, and the moms work together to make sure the kids are safe and happy. If you don't have any friends who are interested in working out, look for a group near you. There are tons of groups for moms looking to get fit, who have to work around their children; those jogging stroller clubs come to mind.

Good luck!
  • klshourd
    Options
    I am a mom of 2, I go to school full time, and I work. I got in the routine to workout 30 min a day for 4 days of the week. My schedule is on a routine so that makes it easier to know what part of the day I can put my workout in, I also do a lot of house cleaning through out the day to make up for that extra workout. I was in your situation there for awhile, I had my schedule, then school started and I started to workout less and less, and my weight hadn't moved. I was stuck on the same weight, It was getting frustrated, so I put myself back on my routine, and I have been doing great now, since I worked out a routine. There are nights where I am tired by the end, but I tell myself 20 mins on the trainer, and once I get going I end up 30 min on and then I feel so much better afterwards. I would try to get a routine or a schedule, it always seemed to help me.
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have 4 1/2 year old twins and a 3 year old. Most days I hit the gym either before they wake up or after they go to bed (Daddy stays home with them) or if my hubby is working I'll get on Netflix and find a workout to do or get on the Wii. I've decided too tired isn't an option for me anymore. I HAVE to workout for me. I have decided its time to make myself a priority and if I am happy and healthy then the rest of the family will be too. Oh and I'm not a stay at home mom, I am a full time college student (16 credit hours this semester) and I spend about 8-10 hours a week working on our family charity (making hygiene kits for the homeless here in Phoenix). It can be done, you just have to put yourself first and let the rest follow