Eating Exercise Calories Burned........ Help Please!

Options
Hi Guys,

I have read a lot about eating the calories you burned from exercise, which I would love to do, but I have this dilemma....

My treadmill doesnt ask me for Gender, Weight, Height, so how do I know that the calories it says I have burned is accurate?

Anyone else worried about this? What was your experience?

I have only been on this site for less than a week, so I am not sure how close you have to stay to your calories per day to lose the average 2 lbs a week, can I be off by 100-200 calories and still lose?

Any help would be great!! thanks in advance!

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    So far that I've read people say you should get a heart rate moniter that way you can know exactly how many calories you are burning.

I'm buying one soon! =D
  • ctsenos
    ctsenos Posts: 36
    Options
    I would love to do that, any idea which one is tested and true? I have read a lot of good and bad reviews for so many different brands, I just cant pick one.

Anyone out there have one that they really like? please share!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I bought this one and love it. It's a polar ft4.
    http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4
  • ianblackburn
    ianblackburn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So far that I've read people say you should get a heart rate moniter that way you can know exactly how many calories you are burning.

I'm buying one soon! =D

You have to be careful - I use a wahoo hear rate monitor that connects to my iPhone - its great when walking or out on my bike but on my cross trainer it is way out (recording a tiny amount for 30 mins) This is because all the apps I have tried with it measure distance using the gps and use that in the calculations I think. Whereas although the cross trainer does not know my weight or height it does know the effort I am putting in and so far it seems to be pretty good ( over 3/4 months - see my diary)

So it is a question of understanding what your device or app is using to calculate the burn.

The other thing to realise I think is that none will be 100% accurate - it just doesn't seem to be an exact science.

Hth

Ian
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    When you set your profile up you choose how much you wan to lose (0.5lb, 1lb etc.) or maintain and the goal number of the calories you're given is what you need to eat to lose that amount of weight. This number includes a calculated deficit already so even if you don't do any exercise you would still lose weight if you stuck to that goal.

If you eat less you might lose more, depends on how your body deals with it.

In the exercise database you can input your pace from your treadmill and MFP will calculate the calories burned using the details you have inputted onto your profile - you can compare this with what the treadmil output is.

I'm getting an HRM as like you bit concerned about how many exercise calories to eat back but I've been eating back most of my calories and the weight is still coming off :)
  • ctsenos
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    MFP says I am burning MUCH MORE than my treadmill says when I enter the time and exercise I did.... I think my best bet is to buy a heart monitor. I appreciate all your help!
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i have the polart ft4 used it for the first time this morning to my walk at home dvd and bruned 244 caloreis in 45 minutes..
    its easy to use!