why to quit diet soda

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/3-shocking-soda-facts

Shocking Soda Fact #1: Soda fattens up your organs

A recent Danish study revealed that drinking non-diet soda leads to dramatic increases in dangerous hard-to-detect fats. Researchers asked participants to drink either regular soda, milk containing the same amount of calories as regular soda, diet cola, or water every day for six months. The results? Total fat mass remained the same across all beverage-consuming groups, but regular-soda drinkers experienced dramatic increases in harmful hidden fats, including liver fat and skeletal fat. The regular-soda group also experienced an 11 percent increase in cholesterol compared to the other groups! And don’t think switching to diet varieties will save you from harm: Artificial sweeteners and food dyes have been linked to brain cell damage and hyperactivity, and research has shown that people who drink diet soda have a higher risk of developing diabetes.

Read out about the 7 biggest food label lies.

FIX IT WITH FOOD: The average American drinks 450 calories a day. By switching to water as your go-to beverage, you'll make room in your diet for these 40 Foods with Superpowers—foods that, even in moderation, can strengthen your heart, fortify your bones, and boost your metabolism so you can lose weight more quickly.

Shocking Soda Fact #2: Soda contains flame retardants

Some popular soda brands, including Mountain Dew, use brominated vegetable oil—a toxic flame retardant—to keep the artificial flavoring from separating from the rest of the liquid. This hazardous ingredient—sometimes listed as BVO on soda and sports drinks—can cause bromide poisoning symptoms like skin lesions and memory loss, as well as nerve disorders. If that’s not a good enough reason not to “Do the Dew,” I don’t know what is. (We reveal more insidious ingredients hiding onsupermarket shelves in the 15 Scariest Food Additives).

Are you addicted to diet soda? Find out now!

DRINK DISASTERS: Soda isn’t the only dubious drink you have to watch out for. Many bottled beverages pack enough sugar and calories to foil your get-fit plans in one fell sip. Protect yourself by avoiding the 11 Worst Beverages in the Supermarket!

Shocking Soda Fact #3: Drinking soda makes you a lab rat

Many American soda brands are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, a heart-harming man-made compound derived mainly from genetically engineered corn. The problem? Genetically engineered ingredients have only been in our food chain since the 1990s, and we don't know their long-term health impacts because the corporations that developed the crops never had to test them for long-term safety. Case in point: Some recent findings suggest that genetically engineered crops are linked to digestive tract damage, accelerated aging, and even infertility!

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Also, it tastes gross.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    every one of my 82 lost pounds was saturated in Coke Zero.

And I'm still alive.

I don't buy into scare-science. Show me some peer-reviewed articles and I may be interested.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member

And I'm still alive.

I don't buy into scare-science. Show me some peer-reviewed articles and I may be interested.

^^this
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Diet soda may not be the best thing for me, but a little once in a while in addition to lots of water is better than a year ago when I was drinking literally nothing but soda.
  • I try to limit myself to 1 can a day.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    IF im gonna drink pop at all ... ill just stick with my regular mountain dew.
    eff it
    (but i havent drank it in like a month)
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member

And I'm still alive.

This.
    It's amazing that so many people have survived YEARS of drinking diet sodas. *sarcasm*
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member

And I'm still alive.

^^this

Agreed. I drink one 12oz can of Diet whatever a day, and I'm still losing!
  • There has to be some middle ground in order to make lasting life changes. I think everyone agrees that it would be better to give up soda completely in favor of water, but let's be realistic. Until last year, I bet I drank 7-8 regular sodas each and every day. I replaced those with diet soda...is that a lot of diet soda, well, yes it is. But it's still BETTER than I was doing before. Ever since then, I've been cutting down, and now I maybe have one a day, but not sure I'd have stuck with it if I had gone 'cold turkey.'
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 673 Member
    I posted this on my Facebook a couple of minutes ago :) Thanks for posting here!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Thread Title: "why to quit diet soda"

Article discusses dangers of regular soda.

:huh:
  • I won't drink soda at all..... Main reason... Put a cooked chicken breast in any soda and see how long it lasts.. if it can deteriorate any thing of the sort... why the hell would you put it in your body?

A man tried to sue coca cola for finding a mouse in his drink, couldn't be proven why?
    Because the argument was, it would have been deteriorated by then.

I decided to test this out myself a while ago... A co workers daughter tested it.

Bye Bye Chicken breast in less than 3 hours... Don't you find that disgusting?
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    I was up to 2 2-liter bottles of Diet Mt Dew a day for a while there. One of my goals this year was to drink no soda at all. So far it's been 5 weeks and I haven't really missed it. Luckily I don't mind drinking water and sometimes adding things like crystal light to it. I know it's tastes good but it really is not good for you.

Granted I don't think it effects losing weight since I lost plenty of weight while drinking. I think it's just better for you overall to not drink it.
  • ginareejoy
    Thread Title: "why to quit diet soda"

Article discusses dangers of regular soda.

:huh:

WIN lol
  • artificial sugar makes you crave real sugar and it makes it harder to stick to your goals.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    I don't drink soda diet or otherwise-never have.
  • ginareejoy
    artificial sugar makes you crave real sugar and it makes it harder to stick to your goals.

That is a not a fact and has not effected me at all. I've stuck to my goals for the past 4 months with many artificially sweetened treats.
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Been drinking diet since November and I've lost all this weight and have 9 lbs to go. Don't really buy into this...
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member

And I'm still alive.

:heart:

Drinking soda makes me a lab rat? Really? That's the most scaremongertastic claim I have ever heard. I even had to make up the word scaremongertastic to describe it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have lost all 295 lbs. with a bottle of Diet Pepsi by my side and I don't think that will change anytime soon...... To each their own...... :-)