aspertain

Options
What are your view.

I drink a coke (regular a day) now I have cut out the coke and have switched to Pepsi max or Coke Zero. Which both have no sugar but both have aspertain. spelled wrong sorry. Anyhow I have heard rumors aspertain slows down your matabilism is this correct and if so do you have article to back it up. So many people have their own thoughts on this I would really like to hear them and then be totally confused even more than I already am

Swoopette

Replies

• Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to believe it was really bad for you. Only because I was listening to what other people were telling me. I decided to do the research myself and found that A LOT of what people were saying were really just opinions. I switched to diet soda months ago. I have never heard of aspartam slowing down your metabolism. Some people say it causes them to crave sweets but I find that having a drink of my diet soda helps when I want something sweet.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Aspertame (as with other artificial sweetners like Splenda, Equal, and SweetnLow) have been linked to cancer in lab mice as well as a change in brain chemistry. I try to stay away from them as much as possible and use Stevia to sweeten things like coffee and tea. However Stevia is often laced with other artificials like erythritol which also have side effects... Personally I think it's okay to injest a little every few days. Our bodies are efficient when filtering out chemicals. However, there are a lot of other things in sodas (diet and regular) that are not good for you.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This came out today: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/3-shocking-soda-facts
    Again, I wouldn't take it to heart but just beaware of what you're eating.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have worried about additives also. I don't drink soda, but I have been flavoring my water with propel,and crystle light. ,I drink alot more water if everyother bottle has flavor
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It has been linked to cancer, but so hasn't everything else in this world. I use artificial sweeteners in my coffee, and a few of the things I eat on a regular basis are "sugar free," which is code for contains aspartame, of something of that nature.

That being said, I still don't drink soda. A few years ago, before I started to even try to lose the extra weight I had left over from pregnancy, I cut out soda and began drinking water, with hopes that I would get my skin back to normal. (After pregnancy I had some issues with acne.) Anyways, with no other changes, I lost about 5 pounds. Half was probably actual weight and the other half was probably water weight (even diet soda has lot's of sodium), but 5 pounds is 5 pounds. Now whenever I'm in "diet mode," my soda intake is strictly limited. Only as a treat, maybe, if I go out to dinner.

EDIT***

Want to add, I only drank DIET soda, Diet Coke to be exact. Guess that's sort of an important piece to my story... Lol.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    medical school has not scared me away from aspartame - I have heard tales of neurotoxicity and cancer, but nothing that convinced me

I definitely think that aspartame is less harmful then all the sugar in a normal soda - so if drinking a diet soda keeps you from drinking a regular soda then i think its beneficial
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Of course the aspartame website is going to say it's safe. Here are the articles from Dr. Mercola who says it's very unsafe:

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=aspartame

I guess it's a matter of who you believe. Personally I try to avoid it. I know it gave my mother in law headaches which went away when she quit consuming it.
  • Kotasmommy
    Options

Of course the aspartame website is going to say it's safe. Here are the articles from Dr. Mercola who says it's very unsafe:

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=aspartame

I guess it's a matter of who you believe. Personally I try to avoid it. I know it gave my mother in law headaches which went away when she quit consuming it.

I figured someone would say that. There are other sites and actual studies done. The site you posted looks like someone who is trying to make money selling their book. Also looks like it's just a blog with his own opinions.
  • Kotasmommy
    Options
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame

Here is another good site that tells you more about it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

This provides a very comprehensive list of studies on aspartame. Someone posted it on MFP another discussion about it.
  • Kotasmommy
    Options
    http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

This provides a very comprehensive list of studies on aspartame. Someone posted it on MFP another discussion about it.
    What I find funny is their opinions say it increases one's risk of developing a lymphoma or leukemia. But the site I posted was from the American Cancer Society and it specifically says "those who did drink them did not have an increased risk of lymphomas, leukemias, or brain tumors"
    Who are you going to believe?
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I have no medical advice for you here. But I find pop in general makes me feel bloated. Last year I gave up Mt. Dew for lent and never went back. I found Lipton's Diet Green tea citrus flavor has been a great substitute! I don't feel bloated, and my stomach used to have this ulcer like ache that has seriously improved! I lost 18 pounds! ( was in a car wreck a few months back so can't exercise right now and have been eating badly due to xmas so I;ve gained a few back)
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my opinion...that stuff isn't natural. unnatural stuff that we eat has to have some affect on weight gain, hence the rise in obesity with the influx of this type of food over the past 50 years. try something like green tea. you can get a box of 20 tea bags for about 2 bucks. not only is it calorie free, fat free, carb free, and sodium free, but it also has caffiene and a lot of antioxidants. ive been drinking 5 cups a day for the past week and lost about 8 pounds. drinking that much also fills you up so you eat less. i like to brew 4 bags in the morning, keep three fourths in a thermos to drink throughout the day and drink the rest right after brewing, that way you don't find yourself brewing tea all day.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    my opinion...that stuff isn't natural. unnatural stuff that we eat has to have some affect on weight gain, hence the rise in obesity with the influx of this type of food over the past 50 years.

I'm a little confused by that. Are you talking about aspartame or other additives? I find it hard to believe that artificial sweeteners are a major cause for obesity.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah. I used to take it for my zits. Made me bulky.
  • tsarperknip
    Options
    "Psychologists at Purdue University's Ingestive Behavior Research Center reported that relative to rats that ate yogurt sweetened with glucose (a simple sugar with 15 calories/teaspoon, the same as table sugar), rats given yogurt sweetened with zero-calorie saccharin later consumed more calories, gained more weight, put on more body fat, and didn't make up for it by cutting back later, all at levels of statistical significance."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Some people say this, others say that...it's all about who you want to believe. Sure, some say it is linked to cancer, but so is nearly everything on this planet. On the other hand, many many people unknowingly have an allergy to aspartame, which usually shows signs like IBS and Restless Leg Syndrome. If you are prone to digestive problems and leg pain, try cutting the diet soda and see if you notice a difference. Personally, I stay away from the stuff since I have many food allergies and a weak stomach. I haven't had an ounce of pop in over a year, so I thought I was good, until I sadly discovered aspartame in my Lipton green tea. That was a sad day, but it forced me to find something better, like good ole water and my new addiction, La Croix.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    "Psychologists at Purdue University's Ingestive Behavior Research Center reported that relative to rats that ate yogurt sweetened with glucose (a simple sugar with 15 calories/teaspoon, the same as table sugar), rats given yogurt sweetened with zero-calorie saccharin later consumed more calories, gained more weight, put on more body fat, and didn't make up for it by cutting back later, all at levels of statistical significance."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

Interesting, but that does not necessarily correlate to how humans respond. I'll have to see if I can dig them up on pubmed again, but there are human studies showing that hunger and weight gain are not increased due to the use of artificial sweeteners.

* EDIT *
    Found a couple of them, but not the main one I was looking for:

sucralose - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22153513
    aspartame - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22252107
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have worried about additives also. I don't drink soda, but I have been flavoring my water with propel,and crystle light. ,I drink alot more water if everyother bottle has flavor

Propel and Crystal Light are sweetened with the same thing as diet soda.