Advantages of swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    does anyone know where I could buy a pair of waterproof earplugs for my underwater mp3 player. the mp3 player i got is still fine, just my earplugs are no good anymore... Looking for a store in Canada.

http://www.amazon.com/Macks-AquaBlock-Earplugs-2-pr/dp/B000277SL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327978535&sr=8-1

419Q1BR29DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your input! ok, so i'm hearing lots about "the right stroke". What exactly is the type of stroke that I want to be doing? I'm a beginner but took lessons as a kid :)

I would just start with basic strokes and work your way up. I swim freestyle down the lane and backstroke back up it. I alternate to try and work more groups of muscles. I also make sure to pull my abdominal muscles in while swimming and take deep breathes. Get used to swimming again before you get really involved with different strokes.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is a slight issue I found .. swimming in cold water typically starts a massive hunger sensation for me. After swimming a mile I feel like i can eat a horse ... I found one way to stop the cravings is after a swim, sauna or steam room for 15 and then hot tub for 15.

I find it so weird that people say they are insanely hungry after swimming. On days I swim it takes me hours before I can eat again. Just the thought of food makes me ill. Now if I am doing regualr workouts and cardio thats when I get insanely hungry. And the pool I swim at is people standards for temp so it is insanely cold.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an outstanding workout. It works all the major muscle groups and provides low-impact resistence. Water aerobics is great too! It's not just for old ladies.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I have been swimming at least 4-5 days a week since the beginning of the year. I have lost weight plus alot of inchs. I bought a new bathing suit when I started. It is so big on me now. I just love the cals burned from swimming. :heart:
  • I've always been a pool baby and I used to compete a lot with my swimming. But since finishing school I haven't been in a swimming pool =S (7 years!) I miss doing my races. I LOVED Back stroke, and Butterfly, freestyle was alright but I hated breast stroke and how I felt so slow in the water =S Is there a way to speed breast stroke up without shortening the stroke??
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Hi, I swim 6 days a week for an hour each day, and I do 2km in that time. I've lost 9kg's 19lbs doing only swimming in the last 7 weeks. When I started, I could'nt even put my face in the water because I was so claustraphobic, but now I swim really well:blushing: Technique is vital to an efficient swim!!!!! I found a lot of help on youtube. I swim laps using freesyle (crawl), so I can give you tips on this stroke, but not the others.

Firstly keep your head facing down in the water (you want the waterline to be in the centre of the head. Your hand should enter the water in line with your shoulder at about a halfway point between shoulder and full extention. Once your hand is in the water, extend forward and then immediatley bend your elbow and lift it up. A high elbow gives you more traction in the water with less pressure on your shoulder joints and is much more efficient.Pull your arm back to hip level (anything beyond is a waste of energy unless you're a professional swimmer with lengthened shoulder tendons), And dont place the next arm in the water until the first arm is exiting. Doing that means you take on to much air, and it slows down your swim. If you see alot of bubbles comming off your hands, you know that you need to watch your stokes. You should get a natural turn in your body while swimming if your technique is good. And lastly breathe under the arm on upper stroke every third stroke or a count of 1, 3, 5 or 7 strokes. this means you work both sides of your body equally.

I hope this helps.....:flowerforyou: I love my swimming, I hope you'll love it too...:happy:

Here's a few helpful links:

Breathing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc-QWcSyGAA

Efficient swimming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    bump
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Anyone know what the health advantages to swimming are? What parts of body/muscules does it work?

Works everything and does not put strain on the joints.

The only thing you may find aches is your back if you swim breaststroke, but do not put your head underwater, but swim with it permanently above.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I forgot to add. Make sure you stretch before, during (if you feel stiffness setting in) and after!!! Really important..:happy:
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    swimming works out everything! it's one of the fasted and most effective workouts, and burns a butt load of calories

You only burn a butt load of calories if you are swimming for long periods and without much rest. The after burn from a run makes for a much better workout than the pool...unless you are Michael Phelps of course.
    We get that you are pro running, but it is possible to burn a lot in swimming, it's also not just about the calories when it comes to swimming, you will get a 'better workout' from swimming if you have different aims and goals. You get a better tone in swimming (generally speaking) and it isn't as harsh on your body.
    Swimming is great. Makes me feel like I'm weightless and sometimes I like to imagine I'm floating around in outer space when I'm under the water. :bigsmile:

It's also pretty much impossible to hurt yourself, which is a plus. Unless I suppose you're going all Hulk smash into it... >.>
    Very possible to injure yourself in swimming, ways to prevent are warming up and cooling down properly including stretching, as well as proper technique and not going beyond your capabilities.
    There is a slight issue I found .. swimming in cold water typically starts a massive hunger sensation for me. After swimming a mile I feel like i can eat a horse ... I found one way to stop the cravings is after a swim, sauna or steam room for 15 and then hot tub for 15.
    Didn't know about the sauna bit, will give it a go when I'm not in a rush. But yes, swimming can make you very hungry and tired, compared to same cal's in a diff exercise!!
    And I almost forgot, if you get tired from swimming and don't want to take a break or even do the breaststroke, then run the length of the pool with your body low so you have to push your arms through the water. do this a couple laps and you'll be tired.
    Water running is a fantastic exercise, definitely recommend it, especially for injury recovery and if you are in the water because you don't want to impact your joints.
    Thanks so much for all of your input! ok, so i'm hearing lots about "the right stroke". What exactly is the type of stroke that I want to be doing? I'm a beginner but took lessons as a kid :)
    As a beginner who took lessons as a kid, I'd say start with your freestyle, work on technique etc, then backstroke then breaststroke as the timing can be quite difficult for some. pm if you want help with technique, i'm a swim coach and teacher, and a swimmer. Don't attempt butterfly if you don't know how to do it, that can really hurt your shoulders if you do it wrong.
    There is no right stroke, do what feels comfortable and enjoyable for you to do.
    I've always been a pool baby and I used to compete a lot with my swimming. But since finishing school I haven't been in a swimming pool =S (7 years!) I miss doing my races. I LOVED Back stroke, and Butterfly, freestyle was alright but I hated breast stroke and how I felt so slow in the water =S Is there a way to speed breast stroke up without shortening the stroke??
    timing and strength. start your kick a splitsecond after you start your arms. make sure your arms don't go wider than your shoulders and that you kick with you feet going around to snap back together.
    And lastly breathe under the arm on upper stroke every third stroke or a count of 1, 3, 5 or 7 strokes. this means you work both sides of your body equally.
    If you are a beginner and need to: star with breathing every second stroke but aim to get to three. For a non sprinting pace I always swim with bilateral breathing (every three strokes) because otherwise you can get very very dizzy
    I forgot to add. Make sure you stretch before, during (if you feel stiffness setting in) and after!!! Really important..:happy:
    DEFINITELY STRETCH!!!

End spiel... lol pm if you have any questions :happy: