10K tomorrow?? OPINIONS please

Options
I have signed up for a 10K tomorrow. I have been training (kind of) and could probably walk/run it in about an hour and a half. I am feeling reluctant to go do it, because I have never run that many miles (6.2 miles) ever, and I just don't want to have a bad experience. I did my 5K on Superbowl Sunday, I felt great, I did way more than I thought I could( I ran the whole way when I had not ever run so many miles at once ever), and it was a great experience. But I let myself off the hook getting ready for this one, I didn't do the running I should've to be really prepared. I can run for about 20 minutes straight before I feel like I need to walk and recover. That only gets me about 1.5 miles though. I am SLOW.

Should I just cowboy up, and go do it, no matter how slow, or should I say, well $35 lesson learned, and avoid possible injury, and possible negative running experience?

The run starts at the Presidio and goes across the Golden Gate and back, it should be great weather, a beautiful day. The race course includes stairs and trails, something I have not trained on at all.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for a 10K tomorrow. I have been training (kind of) and could probably walk/run it in about an hour and a half. I am feeling reluctant to go do it, because I have never run that many miles (6.2 miles) ever, and I just don't want to have a bad experience. I did my 5K on Superbowl Sunday, I felt great, I did way more than I thought I could( I ran the whole way when I had not ever run so many miles at once ever), and it was a great experience. But I let myself off the hook getting ready for this one, I didn't do the running I should've to be really prepared. I can run for about 20 minutes straight before I feel like I need to walk and recover. That only gets me about 1.5 miles though. I am SLOW.

Should I just cowboy up, and go do it, no matter how slow, or should I say, well $35 lesson learned, and avoid possible injury, and possible negative running experience?

The run starts at the Presidio and goes across the Golden Gate and back, it should be great weather, a beautiful day. The race course includes stairs and trails, something I have not trained on at all.

What do you guys think?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    You'll do better then you think. :wink:

"Cowboy up!". :drinker:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    Even if you walk the whole thing- DO IT! You will be glad that you did.

Adding- GOOD LUCK!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    get there earlier enough to get the T-Shirt
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You can do a 10K NO PROBLEM!!! Just think of it as a long workout - I'm sure you've done 30 minute workouts, and 90 minute workouts, right? There is no rush - even at a leisurely pace, you could do it 90 minutes.

I know you can do this - just jump in there! Who cares if it takes you two hours (however I would put money on the 1 hour mark). And the course - in your beautiful city - you MUST do it! Oh how I love where you live....

Let us know how it goes!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Go for it-- !!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!!:laugh:

You will feel so proud afterwards!! I hope to do one some day so inspire me and let me know how it goes!!:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    hmmm so you guys are not gonna let me off the hook, huh? :ohwell:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do 10 and 1's the whole way? You might surprise yourself...
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey, just go for it!!! Be confident...it is not about how FAST you finish it...and we know YOU CAN FINISH it. Take your tame, as you get tired slow down and the end is gonna be near before you know it. You will feel so much better afterwords. You can do it!!! :drinker:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Do it! I am walking my first 10K next Saturday and I am pretty nervous. I typically walk 1.5 to 3 miles when I walk, but like you have never done 6.2 all at once. I plan on walking the whole thing because I am not a runner....I plan to work on it to be one, but I am so not ready to run. I hope to finish in two hours and 10 minutes or sooner.

Just do it and if you get tired then just walk, or even plan on walking the whole thing and maybe you'll find the extra energy to run at some point. Make sure and get some running socks though.....my brother just got me a pair and they are AMAZING!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    OK OK OK hubby is making spaghetti- carb load tonight, RACE TOMORROW!

I will crawl back to the 'puter tomorrow to tell you all how it went:bigsmile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Run like we're all chasing you!!:wink:

Good Luck tomorrow. I know you are going to do great!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    OK OK OK hubby is making spaghetti- carb load tonight, RACE TOMORROW!

I will crawl back to the 'puter tomorrow to tell you all how it went:bigsmile:

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Run, run, run!!!!!!!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Good luck, we look forward to hearing all about it tomorrow!!!
    :happy:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Cant wait to hear how amazing it went, how well you did and all the thanks you'll give us when you get on tomorrow ;)
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hmmm so you guys are not gonna let me off the hook, huh? :ohwell:
    no way! :heart: you will be so proud of yourself for sticking it out. go for it and enjoy the day! :drinker:
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    facing the last minute fear is a big part of doing these things. When i did my first (walking)t marathon, even though i had trained very well for it and should have known i'd be okay, the night before I was convinced i had the flu, was injured, was stupid for even thinking i could do it etc. I actually think I talked myself into having a fever. Finally, I decided I'd just go start the race, partly because i'd spent so much money already on the entry and on a hotel where i was staying the night before, and just see what that was like and then quit when i couldn't complete it.

When the race started it was such a thrill i forgot all about my fears and thinking i was sick and just took off. That's not to say it was a piece of cake. I encountered quite a few challenges along the way but boy I'm so glad I started...and, as it turned out, finished it.

go for it. You don't know what you're capable of doing until you give it a shot.

best wishes. let us know how it was for you.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    OK. I did it. PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!

The weather could not have possible been nicer. The views from the Golden Gate bridge were spectacular. I ran about 2/3 of it and walked about 1/3 of it.
    The beginning part we had to go up a hill, and that was a big scary part to start off. But once I was on the bridge, I felt good. I ran until I felt a sideache, and then I walked for 1-3 minutes, until it loosened up. Then I ran again, etc... I will never see that bridge the same way again!

I feel tired, but I am glad I did it. My legs are gonna be SORE! I can already feel the stiffness coming. After I did the 5K I felt good, I felt like I could've done more. This time, I experienced the "second wind." I'd never felt that before, and it was amazing. A little after 3 miles, I was feeling SO bad. I did not think I was gonna make it. Then, a new song came on, which I love, and I just felt this surge of energy. I started running again, and I ran until I hit the finish line.

When I crossed the finish line today, I KNEW I was spent.

My camera's batteries died, so DH didn't get to take the "money shot" of me crossing the finish, but we used my phone to take one right after.

There was this guy who had been same pace as me for the last 3 miles or so, and as we were coming up on the finish line, he started to walk. I knew if he walked I was gonna walk, and so I said- Hey-come on, you wanna run it in, right? He smiled and picked back up the pace, and we both ran into the finish. Later he thanked me for the extra push:blushing: :bigsmile:

This race did something cool that Kaiser (my 5K) didn't. They had an announcer who was calling out your name as you crossed the finish line. That felt so good! :blushing:

My total time was approx. one hour and twenty minutes. When I check their site later I'll get the actual time from my chip, but I was one of the first that crossed the start line, so the time from the gun to finish is gonna be pretty close to my chip time.

I wanna tell you guys thank you for encouraging me. I was trying to wimp out, and you gave me no chance to be a sissy:grumble: :laugh:

Things I did right:
    1. wore my older, more comfortable shoes
    2. wore capri length pants rather than shorts (which ride up) much more comfortable- no tugging them down every few minutes
    3. two ponytails instead of one - kept my sweaty hair from sticking to the back of my neck

Things I will do different next time:
    1. I won't be so scared!
    2. I won't bring a sweatshirt. The small amount of comfort from extra warmth before we started was NOT worth the aggravation of having to tie it around my waist. It made my middle extra hot and I didn't like it.
    3. I'll remember to check the batteries in the camera so DH can get the picture!!!

THANKS you guys!!!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    but did ya get the T shirt?

congrats on doin it:smile: